SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweaver1

refinished hardwood has applicator streaks, has rough finish spots

gardenweaver1
8 years ago

We just recently had our hardwood floor sanded and refinished. The last coast left ugly applicator marks in the hallway, especially on the edges. Also there are numerous rough areas along the edges in other rooms. The repair guy they sent out said that most of it met "industry standards". It creates quite a bit of drag on the dust mop and makes it tough to get the floor clean in the rough areas. The hallway was very obvious and they did send someone to "fix" it. The floor was contracted and had a commercial water based poly applied in a satin finish. The "repair" in the hallway is now significantly shinier than the middle of the hall with obvious borders between the repair and the rest of the floor. in addition there appears to be some debris in parts of that finish. The previous floor finish did not create drag on the dust mop, and didn't have any rough spots (except where the dog had damaged it) This was done by the same company that originally installed it, (and the dog has passed on) The photo shows the hallway the morning after the "repair", before we took up the tape. I called the repair guy and he said that it was due to a different gallon of finish, that he had used the satin finish. Kind of hard to believe..... What should I expect of a newly refinished floor and what should I insist on?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living