SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimmylang

Introduction and seeking layout wisdom...

Kimmy_MA
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello All,

Like many, I've been lurking, admiring and dreaming for a long time. Your insight and mad layout skillz are legendary. Here's the scoop: Our house is an 1890's era mishmash of additions and expansions (typical for New England).

The kitchen is the room with the gray floor. The main entry point to the house is via the mud room, (the room with dark flooring) right beside the kitchen. It should be noted that the layout above represents a completely gutted room. The current layout follows.

We are a family of five. I'm a stay at home Mom of three boys aged 10, 8 and 6. We homeschool, so we're home most of the time. That means I'm slinging hash three times a day, and the kitchen sees HEAVY use. DH helps out a little with dinner, mostly serving. I do all the cooking. We entertain casually at least twice a month, with 16-18 people on average. My style is traditional and simple. No corbels or gewgaws. I'm destined to join the ranks of white shaker and soapstone....

I'm looking for a practical, user friendly space. Anything is game. I need seating, either via an island or a peninsula for at least 3, preferably 5. I can't move the wall between the kitchen and the mudroom, and I can't move that weird little stubby wall that looks like its floating in the kitchen/DR. It's a bearing wall in the middle of the old, original structure. The wall between the kitchen and DR is up for grabs. Ceilings are only 8 feet with a crazy, uneven floor.

Here's my current layout:

There is a 18-20" space between the DR and the kitchen that contains a defunct chimney stack. We'd like to take that down and either expand into the space, or remove the wall between the two rooms altogether. Appliances are a 36" Samsung french door fridge, Bosch DW, upgrading to 36" Capital Culinarian range with 42" x 27" hood (thanks Trevor), and a 30" built in microwave oven. Maybe an under the counter beverage fridge if there's room? Need a big pantry as we cook a lot and make a great deal from scratch.

The bathroom is being relocated to the front hall (into the area with the whitish flooring). Unfortunately, the laundry has to stay in the kitchen. They are stacked now, and I'm fine with that. I'd like a bank of windows to the back yard to see what my small humans are up to. The driveway side is NOT scenic. Just the neighbor. Not offensive, by any means, just not the greatest view.

I throw myself upon your mercy. I've got great faith that you can create something fantastic. I've got a layout of my own...should I post it, or just let you guys go crazy?

Comments (20)