SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielj_2009

Can Aeration Actually Cause Soil Compaction?

danielj_2009
8 years ago

Ohio State seems to think so! I found a great, semi-layman's article on the biology of soil compaction, here:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/sag-fact/pdf/0010.pdf

One thing I like about this article is it seems to be well sourced with lots of references.

What this article makes clear is that the "root" cause of compacted soil is poor soil biology. In a nutshell, the article explains that healthy soil has larger soil particles. These larger particles are created and "glued" together by glomalin. Glomalin only exists when roots interact with fungus in the soil. The fungus is a rather large structure in the soil (dchall likens it to the fungus you see if you leave bread out to spoil) so when you start disturbing the soil by tilling it, you destroy the fungus. This leads to destruction of glomalin production. In addition, the oxygen introduced by tilling overwhelms the natural biology. This excess oxygen consumes the carbon stored in the soil and emits it as carbon dioxide. The next effect is to reduce organic content in the soil, and allow a further reduction in particle size.

In the case of home lawn aeration, we're talking about pulling core plugs, not tilling the soil. However, it seems to me this kind of aeration can mimic the tilling problems reported in the study (breaking down fungus, introducing oxygen).

I'm sure this study is old hat for some of you, but I found it very informative. Lawntractor -- I'd be very interested to hear your take on this article. What are they missing? You've clearly given a lot of thought and study to the issue.

It seems to me that aeration might be useful in an emergency situation, like of the soil is oxygen starved or something, but routine aeration points to a biological deficiency that needs to be remedied. If so, why would I ever recommend that someone buy aeration equipment when the solution is biological?

All in all very interesting. I might even try to look up some of the references and see if they are available.

Comments (32)