SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anontemp123

Questions on Lineset installation

anontemp123
8 years ago

I have drywall going up very soon and had a new lineset installed. This way I can take my time now to select an A/C unit. I wasn't 100% comfortable with the installation and had a few questions. (The old lineset didn't work with newer A/C units I was told.)

First, some oily residue came out of the old lineset. What is that?

I can see a little bit of copper here and there through the insulation. Should I be very particular and make sure none of the copper is visible?

At one particular bend, the installer inadvertently introduced a crimp in the copper. The installer said it shouldn't matter, but I had him redo that section. In my mind, even one crimp would effectively reduce the volume of the whole lineset. Am I thinking about this incorrectly?

What should be used to seal the hole where the lineset goes outside through the block foundation wall? Is hydraulic cement okay? I want to get another layer of something over that opening because I think there might still be gaps.

The lineset installer said he tested for leaks and such. Today, an HVAC guy came to give me an estimate on a new furnace. He said the ends of the lineset have to be soldered to properly test the pressure. He also implied I shouldn't be too worried about testing it. I'd be curious what the pros here think.

Comments (9)