SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahandbray

Frustrated to tears...will no one install half-round gutters????

sarahandbray
8 years ago

It is absolutely ridiculous how many collective hours I have spent on the phone with every gutter company in the greater Albany, NY area over the past two years trying to find a company to install half round gutters. Called practically every gutter company in the phonebook. Nope. K-style seamless only. Some are willing to try but have never installed before. No thank you--don't want my old 1871 Victorian to be your guinea pig!

I am literally losing my marbles over this project--we really are DIY people, but the house is TALL and I'm too scared to work on this project way up high towards the third floor of the house. I have worked so hard on this home (I think you can see many of my earlier posts about restoring this big beast of a house) with a two-teacher budget, that I don't want to lose the look to modern gutters.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know ANYONE who installs half-round gutters that would have a contact in the Albany, NY area? There are so many historic homes in this region--how is it possible that NO ONE does this?

Every single gutter guy I talk to tries to talk me out of it (seems like a theme with every old house project, wouldn't you agree?). "You don't want half rounds--they're not efficient and your basement will be flooded!" (umm...not true) "You can't do half rounds if they're not copper." (umm, not true!) "K-style gutters look just like your fancy fascia...it will look great!" (umm...no it won't!) This whole nay-saying process took place when I contemplated getting new windows, but luckily talked and researched my way out of it, painstakingly re-glazing 42 original windows myself.

Where is Bob Villa when I need him?!?!

Sarah

Comments (13)