SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Hair, makeup, and all that trivial stuff.

Alisande
8 years ago

It's been awhile since we dished on beauty products. Here's my latest hairdo. I didn't whine or cry over this one, but (there's always a but) the new stylist ignored my "long on top" request (repeated several times) and cut it way too short on top. It's not obvious in this picture, but she got carried away. I figure in a couple of weeks it'll look like a mullet. :-(

Short hair doesn't come naturally to me, but I felt even collar-length hair was dragging my . . . um . . . mature face down. And I'm happy to have bangs again.

I've tried a few new products since our last discussion. I was seduced by TV commercials for Neutrogena's Hydro Boost Gel-Cream, with Kristen Bell's young and impossibly radiant complexion. It's supposed to be for extra dry skin, but when I followed directions to apply it to cleansed skin, it disappeared too quickly. I've since found that it's great for re-hydrating as the day goes on and your moisturizer needs a boost. Maybe that's how it got its name. Oh, and it isn't scented. I like that.

I also tried Neutrogena's Deep Moisture Night Cream. For me, it's so-so. I won't buy it again. I believe it's mostly glycerin, for whatever that's worth. It had good reviews on Amazon when I bought it, but now some people are reporting rashes and burning skin from it. I haven't had that problem, but it just doesn't do a good job for me.

I went looking for a good brown mascara (as a more natural alternative to black), and found this helpful blog that compared a bunch of them, with photos:

http://www.xovain.com/makeup/review-on-brown-mascaras

After looking at it, I bought the L'Oreal Voluminous Miss Manga. I also bought Cover Girl's LashBlast Clump Crusher after reading a review somewhere else, and I like that one even better. I bought both on eBay.

I tried Clear shampoo, and lost a fair amount of hair as a result. I also tried one of Suave's newest (I think) line of shampoos: Sea Mineral Infusion. Reviews gushed about the scent, which many said was like the beach. Well, it doesn't smell like any beach I've ever been to. Nor would I want to go to those beaches. I really dislike the scent. But it did a nice job of cleaning my hair and not straightening out the waves. Maybe that's the "beach' part.

Then I ran across a bargain on Burt's Bees' GÜD shampoo at the Mennonite store. The Vanilla Flame scent is lovely--so much nicer than most. Some reviewers complained that the shampoo is too thin, but I like it that way. Rinses out easier. And the lather was rich. Other reviewers raved about all the scents in this line.

How about you? Got your hair cut recently? Bought any good products? Any bad ones? Do share!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor