SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_green19

Wrong windows ordered - advice?

David G
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My contractor ordered the wrong windows and I was hoping you guys could share your thoughts on the matter.

The original quote I received was for Okna 800 with SDL Grills. The salesman really pushed the SDL grills and told me they were worth the additional costs.

The quote was too high so I asked him to re-quote with two changes.

1. Change from Okna 800 to Okna 500
  2. Remove the SDL Grills option.

Here is the exact language I used in reference to the SDL Grills. "I think we need to remove the SDL grills option to get the price down. Can you quote w/o that option."

The line items on the original quote look like this:

• Furnish & install the following Okna Envirostar 800 Series Deluxe Custom Replacement Windows
  • Lower Fam Rm (2) Double Hung Windows with SDL Grilles

The line items on the new quote look like this:

• Furnish & install the following Okna Insultec 500 Series Deluxe Custom Replacement Windows
  • Lower Fam Rm (2) Double Hung Windows

There is no mention of GBG girds either on either the original quote or the new one. The GBG is included when you get the SDL option.

Note, I didn't even know the SDL option existed before he mentioned it during the presentation. I just I wanted (asked for) colonial grids.

I realize GBG is not on the contract which adds some accountability on my part.

We caught the mistake on the day of the install and the windows did not get installed.

He said his cost to replace the sashes is $3057.13 and he offered to cover $500 of that.

Questions:

1. What are your thoughts on the accountability (moral and legal)? Me/Contractor (50/50, 10/90, 83/17)
  2. Do I have any legal ground to stand on (Cook County, IL)?
  3. Do you have any recommendations on how to get a good (better) results?

Thank you for your advice. It is very much appreciated!

Comments (11)