SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scotty_karaokeguy

Fired vs Quitting with new job in place? Any difference?

John Tunners
8 years ago

Hey all so are you might remember my posts from a couple of weeks back where I wrote about potentially being fired from my job. I have been offered a new job and accepted it. My first full-time job in a while was in 2013 and I worked there in the MR/DD field for nearly two years. Anticipating buying a home and trying to up my salary I went for my current job as a vet assistant (animal care field). Two months in I realized I Mage a mistake. The hours are not consistent and I fear losing my job and got written up twice recently for in the doctors eyes him not feeling comfortable with the handling of dogs on my end. So there's two strikes. My concern is the following: I am buying a home in 2016 (probably winter or summer) - if all goes through which it will I believe with fingerprinting etc I'll have a new job come late October. It is with those who have mental health issues in a group home type setting. It's a Counselor position. My old position before the vet assistant job was a Direct Support Professional.

I do have this job lined up and it's only a matter of time until I am trained etc. I do feel lackadaisical here at my current job. The boss is targeting myself and others and I know getting out of this job is good because it's 40 hours set at 12.99 pay an hour. This one (vet assistant) is 14.50 but 30 hours a week, sometimes 35, never consistent. That's not good for a career and future mortgage situation.

My fiancée has been very consistent in her field.

I work a second job and am away nights so my fiancées safety is important. We can buy a $299k home in a crappy burglar ridden area and pay more for gas to travel to our jobs but then that defeats the point of me making extra money if my wife is not safe or in a safe area. That's my concern about buying smaller and cheaper in one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S.

Our idea with 399k homes is to get it to 379k and make the mortgage somewhat modest $1600 to $1700. Or if we find a steal on a starter home for cheaper that's fine too. There's one I'm eyeing that can be $1500 a month. And I'm including taxes, mortgage insurance and mortgage in those numbers.

So my concern is getting fired and getting a mortgage. We aren't going to buy yet. Probably not until early 2016. We have 50 percent down on a 399k home (down payment gift money to help us live in good areas close to home in a modest under 1700 square foot home). I also want to milk this job and not have a gap in my employment.

I've lost care for this job. When my manager pulled me in months ago I worked harder to make it work. Since getting offered the new job I have worked well but haven't put in the extra effort since I'm out of here soon. The two write ups had nothing to do with my working less hard. It had to do with the lack of training and miscommunication which is consistent here on a day to day basis. I don't hate this job. It's fairly simple. It's just there's writing on the wall. The business is suffering not making a lot of money, hours are being cut, people are being called in and talked about their performances, etc and the doctor needs to retire because he has done procedures that he knows won't make animals better but is doing it to make money. Yet he's a millionaire and lives in a 5000 square foot home. It's just a bad situation but as long as you keep your mouth shut and don't argue (I haven't argued and have kept my mouth shut) you should be fine.

So my questions aside from the one above are if I get fired and am in the process of another job (I have it, was offered and accepted), will that firing show as a lag in employment or should I be okay? That concerns me because I am working to make the money until I give in my notice and I chance getting fired by staying I feel.

Is there any difference for getting a mortgage if you leave on own or if you are fired? Six months away from applying for a mortgage, am I overthinking?

Comments (35)