SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swisschardfanatic

Please make this simple for me...organic tomatoes question

Swiss_Chard_Fanatic
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm an extremely analytical person and quickly overcomplicate things, and reading through all of the existing threads about soils for tomatoes has my head spinning. So I'm looking for simplicity...

My current dilemma: 16 healthy-looking tomato plants (they are all heirloom beefsteak) that grow by 1-2 inches per day, currently all in very tiny pots that desperately need transplanting to either bigger (5gallon?) pots, or a raised bed. This is my first experience with tomatoes. I'm stuck/confused about what soil to use...the soil I'm currently using is simply too expensive, it's 80% potting mix and that stuff is omg-expensive. I have to have this all figured out by the end of the day tomorrow (15th). I've called local plant nurseries and none of them have premixed soils so that leaves me to figure out what to buy, at what price, and at what ratios to mix. I'm overwhelmed. I was told to buy something called "3 in 1" but that just isn't available around here...everyone just sells the individual ingredients. I'm only interested in organic, which complicates things because the cow manure seems to all be non-organic (cows fed GMOs and given antibiotics)...

We are in Zone 9 and have garden soil that's been sitting, unused, for probably 20 years on our property. I assume it's rich with nutrients, but my potted plants all hated it. Probably because it has a very high clay content, which holds water and caused root rot (my guess). My first experience with the potted garden was as follows:

1. 100% garden soil with some Jobe's Organic fertilizer mixed in. Complete failure.
2. 80% potting mix / 20% garden soil and Jobe's Organic fertilizer mixed in. Better, but strawberries grew rotten and chard grew long, thin stems that laid over on the ground and then died. No idea why this happened. But it looked like there was a lot of rotting going on in the garden in general...
3. Current experiment: 50% sand from our yard (no clue if this is called "sand" or "sandy loam", don't know the difference), 45% potting mix (fine bark), and 5% fertilizer (Jobe's Organic).

The entire time I've had this container garden, conditions have always appeared to me to be overly wet (even when I barely watered) and production just hasn't happened yet with any of my plants (up to this point, non-tomato plants)

Questions:

1. What is the difference between sand and sandy loam?
2. Is "Black Kow" brand of cow manure actually organic, or were the cows fed antibiotics and GMO feed? They are closed now so I can't call them. If it's GMO cow manure, how can I find organic cow manure?
3. Do I need to use peat moss? I just read that peat moss holds water; is this true? If it is, should I avoid it?
4. How can I achieve proper drainage, especially when our garden soil is so filled with clay?
5. How much of my own backyard garden soil can I get away with using?
6. Which is cheaper overall (soil+materials): raised bed or 5gallon buckets?

I would prefer to just go to Lowes to get everything I need, to make things simple. The few plant nurseries that exist around here have overpriced soil ingredients and they tell me that the cow manure isn't organic anyway. And one of them told me I needed to get mushroom compost instead of cow manure, but I was skeptical...

Comments (28)