SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

2015 Tomato Report From My Oklahoma Garden

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

When responding to Lee's post about oxheart tomatoes, I realized I hadn't done any sort of summary of the 2015 tomato year, so here it is.

WEATHER: We had plentiful rainfall from mid-June 2014 through early July 2015, so the tomatoes had all the water they wanted (and more than they wanted in May and June). The tomatoes performed accordingly. Plants were huge, lush, covered with flowers and fruit and produced very well for the most part.

The downside to all that weather is that diseases and many pests ran rampant in the long, mild, cool and wet spring, and parts of my garden had water standing in them for at least 2 months. Tomatoes don't like constantly wet feet, but most of my plants were in raised beds and tolerated the wet soil really well.

We did have the typical tomato problems you see in excessively wet weather: fungal and bacterial diseases, some stalling of growth when roots were waterlogged, bland and watered-down flavor of tomatoes that were maturing during very wet weather, and a lot of concentric and longitudinal cracking or splitting of the fruit. I want to qualify that by saying that while it seemed like a lot of cracking and splitting at the time, it really wasn't that bad considering we had almost a whole year's worth of rain in May and June alone. Since July brought the return of rain-free weather and even drought by August, the cracking, splitting and bland flavor corrected themselves and vanished as the summer went on.

Caterpillars were a huge problem during the rainy spell, but not so much after that, so we lost some fruit to them, but I grow so many plants and they set so heavily this year that the cat-damaged fruit was a brief, minor issue that only lasted a few weeks. We still had far too many tomatoes so I shrugged it off.

THE LOSERS: These plants produced very, very poorly but it was not their fault. They were the last ones to go into the ground, so they ended up in the raised bed at the low end of the garden where excessive rain pooled and ponded and sat for a couple of months. Even though they were in a raised bed roughly 6" above grade level, the puddles of water in pathways around them were 4", 6" or even (temporarily) 8" deep all around the raised bed, and the roots in the raised bed surely struggled to grow on that island in the middle of the sea. Thus, these varieties did not yield much this year: Red Brandywine, Brandywine Sudduth's, Black Prince, Lillian's Yellow, Abraham Lincoln, Azoychka and Red Rose. Despite that, we still like all these varieties and will grow them again next year, figuring we are unlikely to have almost 25" of rain next May, right?

THE SEVEN DWARFS: I have had mixed results from The Dwarf Project varieties in the past, but I have felt all along that it was the weather that was making them perform poorly because every time I planted them, it seemed like we had one of those years that went from winter to hot and dry almost instantly and they never got off to a good start and produced well. So, this year, we had cool, mild and excessively rainy weather and the Dwarfs were happy, grew well and produced like mad. The ones we grew were: Chocolate Lightning, Dwarf Purple Heart, Dwarf Wild Fred, Rosella Purple, Sarandipity, Summertime Green and Tasmanian Chocolate. The only one I don't really have positive comments on is Summertime Green, and maybe it is just because I don't care for most Green-When-Ripe types (I love Aunt Ruby's German Green!). It just seemed, um, uninspiring....kinda meh. So, I doubt I'll grow it again. All the others were great and produced well. Sarandipity, Dwarf Wild Fred and Tasmanian Chocolate produced over the longest period of time. It was a great year for the dwarfs here.

THE BITE-SIZED VARIETIES: I grew Mexico Midget, Sweet 100, Black Cherry, SunGold, Amy's Apricot, and Ildi. Almost all of them did well. The earliest producers were Mexico Midget and Sweet 100 and the heaviest producer was SunGold (of course). SunGold also had the best flavor overall, though Ildi also was tasty. Amy's Apricot and Ildi seemed to be slow starters but made up for it by producing heavily later on. Amy's Apricot wasn't the best-flavored, but I want to reserve judgement on it and give it a chance again next year when we presumably won't have so much rain during the tomato-growing season. The worst performer this year? Black Cherry. That's my fault. I planted them late (I was out of space and trying to figure out how to plant them without planting them in a foot of water) and put them at the extreme west end of the garden in the shade of the pecan tree. Normally tomatoes do well there, but this year we had so little sunshine in May and June that the plants stalled and grew slowly and then were slow to set fruit and ripen it. Black Cherry normally does great, so it will be back next year of course.

THE OXHEARTS: I've never been able to get many hearts to do well here, so naturally this year they all were superb! We had very unusual weather and they loved it. I don't know if they'll perform as well in a drier, hotter year but all the varieties I grew this year will return next year. I grew Anna Banana Russian, Joe's Pink Oxheart, Yellow Oxheart, Kim's Civil War Oxheart, German Red Strawberry, Brad's Black Heart, Cherokee Purple Heart, Dwarf Purple Heart, And Anna Banana Russian. It is hard to pick a favorite, but Joe's Pink Oxheart and Kim's Civil War Oxheart were awfully good, and so were Cherokee Purple Heart, German Red Strawberry, Dwarf Purple Heart.....etc. etc. etc. (grin) They all were so meaty and dense and flavorful, and many of them had almost no seeds. They were my favorite tomatoes this year.

THE BEST: In terms of flavor and productivity among the remaining varieties in our garden, these varieties were outstanding in 2015: Rutgers, Jaune Flammee, Champion 2, Homestead, Gulf State Market, Nepal, Marion (produced over a very long period of time, long after heat shut down the others), Polish (huge fruit!), Pruden's Purple (early as always), Orange Minsk (very heavy producer), Stump of the World (perfect and as close to Brandywine as any tomato not named Brandywine), Soldacki, Gary O Sena, Marglobe, Mortgage Lifter, and Indian Stripe.

OKAY BUT NOTHING SPECIAL: German Johnson (great in a drier, hotter year but not much flavor and kinda of mushy texture in a cool, rainy year), Granny Cantrell (ditto), Kanner Hoell (didn't produce as much as a lot of others), Work Release Paste (petered out fairly early in the year), Super SIoux (early and watery and didn't produce much later on, so maybe it suffered from too much rainfall early in the year and never recovered), Dester (not as good as I thought it would be, but will try it again in a drier year), and Gold Medal (tasty but not a heavy producer).

I also grew Celebrity and Better Boy from purchased plants set out really early and they produced well, but y'all know that we only use those early purchased plants for early fruit for BLTs in April/May and don't pay much attention to them once the heirlooms/OPs are producing. They do a good job of fruiting early (because I buy big healthy transplants the minute they hit the store, so they're far ahead of the plants I started at the proper time for our area) and keeping us happy until the real harvest begins, and after that they just end up in salsa because we have better varieties to eat fresh.

You might notice there weren't a lot of pastes on my list. That's because I am, increasingly, just using a mix of all the tomatoes in my garden for cooking and for canning. Yes, you do have to cook down the beefsteaks/slicers a bit more to get them the right consistency, but we love the blend of the many superb heirloom flavors better than the flavor of your typical paste tomato. I expect to grow a lot fewer paste varieties in the future than I have in the past.

Overall it was a yummy and delicious tomato year. We ate tomatoes every day until we got to the point that we really couldn't stand to look at one more tomato, and then I just canned and froze all the excess or gave them away. I had spread out the planting of the transplants over a really long period---from the last week of March through somewhere close to the end of May---so the harvest was spread out accordingly.

The return of the heat and drought in July/August put an end to fruit set on all but the bite-sized types, but we'd overdosed on tomatoes by then so didn't miss them in August as much as you'd think. We were, after all, already eating tomato sauce and salsa from this year's harvest, and we still had occasional fresh tomatoes---just not bowls full of them every day. The plants I planted in late June for the fall harvest have grown, but not terribly well during the extreme heat and return to drought in July/August. They grew and bloomed, but the blossoms just kept falling off as long as we stayed hot. Finally, in the last 5-6 days, with cooler temperatures, they have set some fruit, and so have some of the spring-planted tomato varieties, most notably, Marion, Champion 2, Mule Team and Gulf State Market (even though GSM is buried under tons of morning glory vines). I expect we may get to harvest some of these before the first frost arrives, depending upon how early or late in autumn it comes.

That's my tomato report---long and detailed as always. We have about 230 jars of salsa canned, other tomato products like chili base and pasta sauce from last year's harvest, and several gallons of frozen tomatoes for winter cooking. I have absolutely no complaints about this year's overall harvest. It was great.

That's my tomato report, so now please share yours.

Dawn

Comments (7)