SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gold566

Help with Entertainment Center

gold566
8 years ago

We have been looking at this space for 9 months and are no closer now than we were then to figuring out what to put here. It is a focal point and deserves better than my feeble attempts. The two metal airplanes need to stay as well as the small clock. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (39)

• User
    8 years ago

Part of the problem seems to be the scale of what you're putting there vs the size of the shelving as well as a lack of personalization. I would start by adding groupings of larger sized books and maybe some framed photos. You have enough space to add a plant or two as well. If you do a search in Houzz for "tv built ins" you can get a good visual of what I'm trying to explain.

gold566 thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

You might try all books.

Or, if you want decorative objects, you need light colored, larger stuff---like a collection of creamware jugs, for example.

gold566 thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Hooker Entertainment Center vs. Riverside Entertainment Center

Q

Comments (14)
    I own several Hooker furniture bookcases and an armoire (2001) as well as a Riverside bedroom set (2003). Both have been moved several times and I have no complaints about either one! I should also note that the Riverside bedroom set was used in a rental property. I think both have held up very well over the years.
    ...See More

Help! Using a tv entertainment center for a kids play kitchen

Q

Comments (5)
    @LavenderLass... that's it! Thank you, thank you, thank you :) I think I'm going to make it a combo of the red one & the white one that ColoradoMom posted. Whenever it gets completed, I'll post some pics!
    ...See More

built in shelving/entertainment center for family room

Q

Comments (2)
    If you like the kitchen cabinet color, you could pull that across the room to the new built-in. Since gray seems to be on the way out, you might start considering how you can change the wall color down the road.
    ...See More

Help picking out the color of our entertainment center

Q

Comments (5)
    I agree, in general, back in the day, we needed 24” or more deep large furniture to house the depth of those TVs. I am sure you now have a flatscreen TV, and know that they are recommended for best viewing, at eye level for a seated audience. Additionally, all the new TVs pride themselves on ability to be viewed from an angle. A deep entertainment center doesn’t take advantage of this, either. Maybe your husband is just so accustomed to seeing a massive piece of furniture, and can’t imagine anything else. Perhaps if someone mocks up a display of a long, low console, with lots of storage, placement of art or whatever to make it attractive, he will come around.
    ...See More
  • melle_sacto
    8 years ago

Can the airplanes be hung, and the clock set atop a stack of books? what else do you have to put in it?

gold566 thanked melle_sacto
  • olychick
    8 years ago

Since the small planes need to stay, I would try to find a way to display them all on one shelf using different height and shaped platforms...maybe a group of things like these (not so many colors, but maybe one color, different shapes or one color with some clear glass). White cubes would work, too.

Others gave you good advice about using larger and/or more items to fill more of the space.

gold566 thanked olychick
  • jakabedy
    8 years ago

I think some of the problem is the depth of those shelves -- they look to be about 24" deep, whereas a typical bookshelf would be 12-16" deep. Do you have a lot of books? Are some of them books that you don;t need to access very often? If so, you might consider putting them in the back of the shelves, essentially making the display area for the planes, etc., shallower.

I agree with the others that the small planes would display better if at an angle somehow. Are there any sort of lucite stands made for displaying items like that?

gold566 thanked jakabedy
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

In addition to what others have suggested, have you thought about painting the backs so that the shelves don't seem so deep and the items on them don't appear so lost.

gold566 thanked k9arlene
  • gold566
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions. The only airplanes that need to stay

are the two larger metal ones. The clock, although small, has huge sentimental value so it also needs to stay. Everything can go including the books. Yes the depth is about two feet deep so really not a bookshelf. Maybe that is what is holding me back, the space is quite deep and large. I need to think bigger. Just not used to having such a large space to work with, its kind of overwhelming. So of course everything we own is not really the correct size for the space. Thanks again

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Then just make them appear bigger, like Oly says, use a prop to set them on like books. And like someone else suggested, try to group in odd numbers. Another trick is when you group, used varied heights. Think of how picture frames look best then they're displayed. One large then a medium and maybe a size down from that.

gold566 thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

I just found this article that may be helpful. Tips on Arranging Accessories

gold566 thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

When you have deep shelves I think you not only have to decorate them from side to side, but from front to back. Maybe place framed art against the walls to take up the height and then place the smaller items in front of them. I hope that makes sense.

gold566 thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

I removed everything from the shelves with the help of MS Paint, but then wore out on adding things. I thought maybe someone that has a better program than myself might want to play around with filling them. Allergies and just stuff, are messing with me right now. I'm in a zombie mode right now. I look alive, but I can't make myself do much of anything productive.

gold566 thanked User
  • gold566
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks justgotabme. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

• User
    8 years ago

You're welcome and thank you too. I'm sure it doesn't help my mood any that hubby left for Houston today after three weeks home.
    I did search and found this photo that shows pretty much what I was talking about. These shelves aren't as deep, but they did put Largish framed items in the back. Maybe you could paint the backs of the shelves to help fill the space too.

gold566 thanked User
  • olychick
    8 years ago

I really like this last example posted by jgbm. Even though it might be counter-intuitive to darken the insides of the shelves, the way these are done with only light colored accessories is really attractive, I think. It would make the depth difficult to perceive, so if items didn't go all the way to the back, it wouldn't matter, nor show as much.

I like the framed pieces standing up behind, as well.

gold566 thanked olychick
  • gold566
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have thought about painting several times but get nervous about it. I dont know why, it is just paint! Lol I really like that picture and it's given me lots of food for thought. Thank you so much for taking the time jgbm.

Understand about the dh leaving, mine just left for 3 weeks. However, mine has been home for several weeks and was getting antsy. It was time for him to go on a long work trip. Now I can get some rest! Lol.

• User
    8 years ago

What color would you like to paint them? If you give me a sample I'll see what I can do. It won't be perfect but after a good nights sleep, which I'm soon heading for, I should be able to try.
    I'm feeling better already as hubby and I Skyped, got our virtual hugs and kisses in, yes we're corny. He was gone two weeks straight at the end of his last contract and that drove us both crazy. I don't think we could handle three weeks apart. I do eat less when he's working away from home though.

gold566 thanked User
  • radar2
    8 years ago

I don't think styling the shelves will be enough to make the entertainment centre look as good as it would if both end units were squared off at the top and trimmed in wood like the centre unit. I think it would have a more cohesive look overall ...I would love to have this in my home..

• JustDoIt
    8 years ago

Beautiful wood and stain. I would never paint it. Light colored items will look great in that space.

gold566 thanked JustDoIt
  • User
    8 years ago

FinallyHome, we are talking of painting the inside wall portions of the outer two builtins. Not the wood. I'm a wood grain fanatic, and would never suggest that.

gold566 thanked User
  • amykath
    8 years ago

I would definitely consider painting the entire interior of the niches a darker color to balance the entertainment center. I tried with sherwin williams paint color visualizer but the picture quality was not the best so it did not work out so well.

You have a lovely space!

gold566 thanked amykath
  • gold566
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone, I would never paint the wood, it is walnut with expresso stain which matches the kitchen island and the stair railing which are in the same space. (Annie-threes!)

There is a picture on Houzz that I found when we were building that was the inspiration for this unit. I need to find that picture again.

Jgbm, everything here is blues, deep browns (not tan) and grays.

Jgbm, I eat less too and I eat what I want rather than making a meal. Kind of a nice break. While I miss him, I do try to concentrate on the positive which is a short list.

• ceezeecz
    8 years ago

I see they have lights at the top. You could keep your eye out for a beautiful piece of art glass for the top shelves. Something dramatic and not too small.

gold566 thanked ceezeecz
  • User
    8 years ago

I would love to see the inspiration for this built in. What a neat idea.

I'm the same way about eating what I want when hubby is gone, though he lets me choose what to eat quite often, there are times when we don't really want the same thing. That's rare though. The only positive thing I can think of now is the sky miles, hotel and vehicle rental points he earns. LOL You can tell he's newly gone after three weeks home, can't you?

Here's your built ins with the niches painted brown. I'll be back after I remove this "paint" and start a new. I wish MS Paint would let you just change the colors when using the "marker". You can when you paint a solid color, but not with the marker and it doesn't look as good without being able to see the shading using it leaves in place.

• User
    8 years ago

Just thought of something. It would be better if I saw the other colors in your room as I may be way off in what I choose.

• gold566
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Entertainment Centers and Wall Units · More Info

This is our inspiration. I still love it!

If I paint the nooks it would be a blue color as there is some variation of blue all over in the room and house. I did notice my walls look washed out. They are actually light gray. I will try to get some decent pictures when I get home tonight. Thanks

Miles and hotel points are the best positives.

• amykath
    8 years ago

I notice in your inspiration pic there are three shelves instead of just your two. I think that helps a great deal with balance and obviously you have yet to decorate the top middle opening above your tv.

gold566 thanked amykath
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Note that, because the shelves are solid, the light only lights the top shelf. Everything else is dark so you'll need bright stuff to put there for it to show, if you paint the background dark. Leaving it light, you can put dark stuff there and it will show. Either works---it's more a matter of what objects you have/want.

gold566 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • perky_2
    8 years ago

For the lights on each shelf, there are battery powered with dimmer remote control puck lights that would light each shelf. I just got a six-pack at Costco's for 19.99.

• User
    8 years ago

If you share the shade of blue I'll be happy to "paint" them for you. A straight on shot, like in the inspiration, would be awesome. That's always easier to play around with.

gold566 thanked User
  • gold566
    Original Author
    8 years ago

good morning, wanted submit a different picture with the lights on. All lights are built in and are in dimmers.

I appreciate all the suggestions. It has really helped me regain my focus.

• gold566
    Original Author
    8 years ago

not a good picture but this is reflective of the colors in our home.

• gold566
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh good grief, here is a redo!!

• User
    8 years ago

What a beautiful home Gold.
    Thanks for the other pictures too, but I'm still having a hard time seeing the exact color of blue you are looking for the back of the built in walls. The rug in the last picture appears a very dark teal, but the books on lower left of the shelving unit seem cobalt.

gold566 thanked User
  • laughablemoments
    8 years ago

This idea might be a little bit out there, but that's what this brainstorming is for, right? If the depth of the shelves is hard to work with, then how about reducing the depth? If you could carefully cut foam core to the size of each opening, and then install it about 12"-15" back from the front of the shelves, then you could reduce the shelf depths to something more "normal". You'd need stops to press the foam core against. Maybe something impermanent like the firm rubber bumper pads that are used inside kitchen cabinets could be affixed to the shelves or walls of the display area at the proper depth and then press the foam core against those rubber stops. The foam core could also be painted the blue color, and easily changed as your decorating style changes.

gold566 thanked laughablemoments
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

What a difference with the lights on! That's terrific.

I would leave the airplane on the right where it is and center under the light, all by itself. I would move the bi-wing plane to the top shelf, though I'd stack some "coffee table" books underneath it to give it the appropriate height. Keep the clock on the side of a short stack of books. Use an object in front of other books and get a decorative book end to highlight another stack. Use the depth of the bookcases to your favor by placing some objects in front of others so your arrangement becomes 3-d. Something like this...

I made the center arrangement with strict symmetry given the bookcases and the lights, but you can easily do a more asymmetric or casual arrangement if you want. I used a woven basket and ceramics to add color and texture, but those are just suggestions...there are many ways you can go with it. Note too that the blue and red in the objects are repeated in the book spines. When making your arrangement, think about scattering similar colors around to tie it together.

gold566 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • AnnKH
    8 years ago

Annie did exactly what I was thinking.Putting the planes on top gives them center stage, and elevating the one on the left improves the proportion.

It's the depth that makes this hard, and putting a "layer" of books along the back solves that problem. I would do as Annie has - books of uniform size in each shelf. A contrasting color (light items in front of dark books)

gold566 thanked AnnKH
  • gold566
    Original Author
    8 years ago

HOLY MOLY! I love it Annie, thank you so much. This helps a lot. I am a very symmetrical person so that middle section is great. I have to work at not being too symmetrical sometimes.

Although I considered painting the bookcase areas, I didn't know how my DH would go for that especially since it's all brand new. So this example saves me from having that discussion. Looking forward to shopping this weekend.

jgbm - thanks for all your help. Hope you are doing ok and hanging in there. Phone calls are not quite the same as having there here but it's the price we pay. Thought of another bonus - less laundry!

There is a huge space above the stairwell that is going to need some help. I will have to post a picture of it someday. I have an idea just not sure how to go about it. But that's a topic for another day!

• User
    8 years ago

That is true about laundry. If he were home he'd change after he got home from work. He rarely does while traveling other than to get ready for bed since he works four long days.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH