SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emerogork2

Mock Orange acting like a stubborn teenager.

emerogork
8 years ago

I now know what it means. I moved the plant about three months ago.

In the past, I gouged and hacked the plant, ended up knocking off most of the soil and replanting it practically bare rooted.

This time, I had learned how to move a bush by digging about 18" from the stem and
moving a doughnut, so to speak, of soil and undisturbed roots all at
once.

It was relocated about 3' from its original position. I gave it lotza water and it looked great.....

The problem is that it seemed to wilt when the immediate water was used up. Add to this the fact that it has been a very dry summer. I watered it, it looked better but would wilt again in a few days. It simply did not recover as other plants had.

I read that I had turned it into a lazy teenager. I gave it its own room, a computer, games, IM, and all the internet access available. In other words the plant had it too good to have to work on redeveloping the roots to seek out its own water.

I then stopped watering it at the base but made a soaker hose ring to place water in a 3' diameter away from the base. Water would have to soak through to soil to the plant instead of direct delivery and the plant would now have to reach out for water.

It seems to be working but the leaves still seem to be wilted.

This is the first time I have encountered this spoiled teenager syndrome in a plant and my question is: Is this normal or was my watering the base incorrect for this (new to me) style of transplanting.

Have you ever had to baby a 10 year old plant so much to get it to survive? Actually the pic makes it look better than it really is. (:

I have another Mock Orange in the back yard and its leaves are in excellent condition and the one that I moved looked good before I moved it. Transplanting happened only because it was simply in the wrong place.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio