Should Estranged Son Be Notified When His Father Passes?
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (16)
Related Discussions
estranged 19 year old what to do
Comments (3)Thank you for the advice yesterday my moms christmas box came in i sent a text to his boyfriends phone saying you have gifts here from your grandma please arrange to pick them up ... Its too upsetting to me and the household when he just shows up when he pleases. He wrote me a five page letter about how bad i was and he wanted nothing else from my house. I gave a short reply ... Im being nice either you want the stuff or not dont treat your grandma like this and hurt her feelings over something that she has nothing to do with.. i have yet to get a reply i would assume he would want the 50 dollar card since money is an issue with him. I went through something simular with my mother as a teen only there was diff abuse there (attempted sexual abuse by her bf) and she has apologized and since has had a very nice husband for 12 years. We broke the cycle. I have in the past repeatedly apologized for yelling to much over 6 years ago but we had no abuse in our house . My late husband was very mentally abusive to me so he wittnessed that.. i am guilty in that respect and have repeatdlly apologized to him for that. His dad taught him well how to disrespect me and push my buttons. He has told people and family memebers for years how he has no goals.. i really do get what my son is going through i offered to go to counsiling with him he just wants to hate me for some reason i cant explain. I am so scared i have a 2 year old with my current husband and have changed every way i can for him to avoid the same out come. My new husband has been great to my son and even after my son complained because he didnt want my husband disciplining him i asked my husband to step down and i would handle it. Now where do i go from here no contact? Ive professed my love for him ive told him how i feel that im not perfect and only want the best for him.. it seems the only emotion he communicates is anger.. on top of that these "parents " in the home where he lives with his bf do their best to down grade me and keep him there ... They dont know me from jack... I even tried to explain to the mother where i was coming from and please close the door so he can come home and we can work on our relationship and his education .. to no avail she wants his money for rent there are three other late teens in the house who pay them to live there. My sons a finacial gain and a boy toy for her abusive son. I explained to her what my son told me about the abuse and others she didnt bat an eye .. but she was excited to talk about her dogs go figure... I know he needs to be on his own but because of his father passing my son is on a 16 year old level. Some tell me cut contact let him sink or swim others say keep the light on. I just cant take how it affects me everyday. Tell me im not alone and if i do cut the ties i have tried all i can even offering if he came back home to finish school i wouldnt bulk at him going back once he graduates and having contact with this boy while he finishes school. What is the right solution.. i cut him free i dont care in his eyes.. i dont and in his eyes im trying to control him.......See MoreMoney and Estranged Adult Children
Comments (77)Thanks to all who have shared on this thread. I too am an estranged mother from an adult son. I used to be the one saying to other estranged parents that they must have done something wrong to deserve it. No child would ever willingly want to cut off good, caring, loving parents. Then, it happened to me and I was in shock and disbelief because I am always the one OTHER people turned to for help with their children. I am a therapist, after all, and I know about interpersonal relationships - right? I spent my whole life teaching others "how to do it correctly and in a healthy way"! How shocking and shameful it was when this happened to me! Not me!! How and why could this happen?!? The past five years have been grueling to say the least. I do understand the suicide attempts by some and the difficulty moving forward with life. I read everything I can find from children who have cut off parents to try to figure out what I can do to fix it. I read the comments by those on this thread that tell us what we have done wrong. So, I have apologized repeatedly for anything and everything I have done to make my child hurt. I have repeatedly reached out to him as have multiple family members and his best friend and other friends to try to heal the rift. Every time I reach out, there is some new reason he and his wife are hurt. Some of the things they accuse me of are not true. I know they are not true because they are about how I feel - that I don't really care about them or that I don't really love them or I behaved in a certain way because I wanted to disrespect them. I can honestly say that all I want from them or anyone is to have a nice time and to love each other. They misinterpret everything I do. I still apologize but only I know how I really feel and what my true intentions were. They can't tell me that. Still, I apologize. Finally, my husband and adult daughter and other son told me to stop apologizing. They said it was making it worse and not better. They saw my pain and desperation and helplessness and it was destroying them. So, they told me to stop because they could not take the pain. So, I stopped. With regard to what CJH Design wrote about gravitating toward pleasure and away from pain, I will say this. My parents have not been easy to deal with. They are controlling and focus only on themselves. I am expected to do everything for them and they still complain. No matter how much I do, it has never been good enough and they always expect more. I have tried and tried to make them happy and I have become a major people pleaser and caregiver in my life, sacrificing everything for the wellbeing of others and especially my family. My father is older and my mother has died. I take care of him every day and it is very difficult because of how critical he is. It is not pleasant to be around him most days but I still do it. I don't do it because it is pleasurable. I do it because I love him and that is what love is. It is unselfish and it is giving, even when it is not easy or pleasant. I also remember how many times I did this for my children when they were difficult to deal with and it was not at all pleasant to care for them, give up dreams that I had, deal with the pain of their behaviors, and work full time to support them. I could have left them and gone out for more pleasurable times when I was young like some parents do instead of hanging in there, parenting when it was very difficult and certainly not fun to deal with temper tantrums, snot, sickness, and endless needs. Not fun at all. Parenting is the most difficult job on the planet and it takes a dedication to stick with it and not run from it toward a life of fun and pleasure. I believe that being unselfish and giving to others is an important value and I try to do it in my life. I also have empathy and compassion for my father because of what he has been through in his life, which I won't go into because it would take all day. I would never dream of cutting him off. My heart hurts too much when I think about the pain it would cause him. I could never do that to him, no matter how he treats me. He does not have to be pleasant all the time for me to be around him, care for him, and stay with him. I think that is what love is really. Another example: In my work I go into jails to help people in trouble with the law. I hate being locked in when I go to jails because I have a phobia. I get paid very little and the courts are not nice to me. It is definitely not pleasant. I don't do it for the pleasure or money. I do it because I want to try to help and because I believe that doing things that are right is not always easy. People do things for pleasure but I have found that meaning and purpose can come out of things we do that require a willingness to set our own desires aside for someone else or for a greater good. This is what I have learned from my estrangement from my son: Karma: I recognize there is a lesson in this for me. What am I being taught by the universe? I have struggled with this long and hard and I think I have learned that I needed too much from my son. I think I relied on him to make me happy because of the difficult relationship with my parents. I need to let him have his own life and make his own decisions. I need to move on and figure out what I need myself and not rely on him so much. I also think I learned that I have been too critical and judgmental of others in my life. I need to try to be more understanding, compassionate, and less focused on who is right and who is wrong. Money: I gave my son everything he ever needed. I paid for his degree, paid for him to travel all over the world, and paid for several cars, and for anything else he needed ever. He now has a good job and is making far more than I ever did. I had to work several jobs to give him what he needed. He does not need my money now but the rift did seem to be about money as far as I can tell. Here is what I have decided I need to do to find meaning in life: I am going to use the money I earn and have to give to others in the world who don't have anything. I am going to travel with organizations that help others and use my money to help them. I am going to give of myself also, because that is more important than just giving money. I am going to try to improve the things for other people around the world who have far less than any of us. That is going to give me meaning and purpose and is something that I always wanted to do when I was raising my children. My daughter has indicated that she wants to do this with me and she shares in the vision. It gives me so much joy and pride to have her with me on this journey. I hope that some day my son will come back and have a relationship with me and with his family. His sister and brother are very angry with him and he does have a spouse that encouraged the cut-off from us. I hope that we can heal eventually but I am not sure if he even values his family at this point. What I have learned is that it is his decision and I must let him figure out his own life and not expect him to be there for me. I can accept this now and I am starting to have some peace so I must be on the right track. Life is a struggle and we all need to work to figure out what we are supposed to learn about ourselves. What you all have written in this thread has helped me a lot to continue figure things out myself....See MoreMy 18 yr old son met his father for the 1st time
Comments (10)What would happen if your son said, fine, dad, I'm all in favor of forgiveness & putting the past behind us; let's just get the business part of it out of the way first; you just pay mom what the court says you owe her & I'm your boy, okay? Your situation reminds me of something my old roommate Laurie told me: Her mom, Fran, divorced her dad & didn't take one cent in settlement; Fran had been a homemaker her whole adult life; she didn't have the funds to fight her ex in court, & she knew she couldn't help her daughters financially, so she agreed to waive her rights if Laurie's father would pay for college for both their daughters. Laurie talked to her dad at least once a week, & he knew she was paying for her college with loans & grants, & he never offered to help. There were weeks when she ate ramen noodles, & he never offered to help. Laurie's younger sister was living with their mother, Fran, in their home country, where Fran had returned to take care of her mother & to get a job with a relative. At that time, international phone bills were prohibitively expensive, so Laurie hardly ever got to talk to her mother. When the younger sister graduated from high school, she came to Texas & got in touch with Laurie, & Laurie helped her get a scholarship. About 6 months later, Fran came to Texas to visit her daughters; when she found out that the girls had had *no* help whatsoever, she blew a gasket & called their father. made no difference; The father claimed that he would have helped the girls if they had *needed* it, but that they were doing fine on thier own. so Fran got no settlement, her daughters got no help, & her ex kept all the money....See Moreto move or not for son to be closer to his dad
Comments (5)Well, if I was away from my child, I'd be around more than 5 times in 2 yrs. I don't think a court in the US would consider giving him custody, but you now have the difficult role of helping your son to have a relationship w/ his dad. It's tough - he did wrong by you and your son. He basically chose an affair over the two of you. He now has another child and the woman in his life who felt is was OK to be involved w/ a married man. Not great role models. Nonetheless, if he is willing to be a father to your/his son, then you probably need to support that. You also must be sure that the mother of his other child will treat your son well. Your ex must also treat the children equally. As hard as it is, your son does deserve to know his 1/2 sibling and his dad, be that through visits or if you move. I don't know if I'd move or not. Family being close is priceless, but you give a good argument for moving - bigger city, prospects of meeting someone special are better, better jobs, schools, etc. I think you ought to write down the pros and cons and make a decision. Also write down the pros and cons for your son. Of course he didn't want to go w/ his father having only seen him a few times. His memory of his dad isn't in existence right now. No child, esp. this age, wants to leave mom. The father can't blame you, really, as his not being there routinely is to blame. Yes, you moved, but not before being desperate after the position he put you in. How do you feel about the ex now? How does your family feel about you moving back? You need their support and it may not be easy in light of what happened. Also, you won't have built in babysitters, either, in the larger city, so you must consider that. Good luck, Dana...See More- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

TRAVEL BY DESIGNThe Father of the U.S. National Parks Lived Here
Adventurer John Muir helped preserve the nation’s natural wonders. His California home shows his domestic side
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESThis Designer’s Client Was Her 10-Year-Old Son
What do you give a boy with a too-babyish bedroom when he’s approaching double digits? See for yourself
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESOne Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
LIFEThe Beautiful Thing About Dad's Chair
My father had his own spot in the house. His father had his own spot. Now I have mine
Full Story
LIFEWhen You're Suddenly Solo at Home
Whether you stay in a home alone or move on, these strategies from professional organizers can help you with the process
Full Story
MOST POPULARThanksgiving Tales: When the Turkey Tanks
Houzz readers prove adept at snatching victory from the jaws of entertaining defeat
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGAnother Independence Day: When Kids Can Do Their Laundry
Set yourself free and give your child a valuable life skill at the same time
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSWorking With Pros: When You Just Need a Little Design Guidance
Save money with a design consultation for the big picture or specific details
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSGo Beyond the Basics When Interviewing Architects
Before you invest all that money and time, make sure you and your architect are well matched beyond the obvious levels
Full Story
SELLING YOUR HOUSEFix It or Not? What to Know When Prepping Your Home for Sale
Find out whether a repair is worth making before you put your house on the market
Full StorySponsored
sushipup1