SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veronicasgrandma

Should Estranged Son Be Notified When His Father Passes?

veronicasgrandma
8 years ago

This may sound like a strange question, but after you hear the details, maybe not so strange. First, my husband is still alive and well. Secondly, his son hasn't spoken to him in 5+ years, his DIL is a major $*(%#! and won't allow the three granddaughters to see him. Trust me, there is no valid reason for this either. Well actually there is, money. My husband wouldn't cater to her every whim before they were married so she banned him from the wedding and seeing their kids and my stepson just goes along with it. My husband has reached out at least 7 times in the last 5 years only to have a door literally slammed in his face. No response to emails either. They broke his heart. So the question is, what do I do if he dies or there's an emergency situation? I don't even have a phone # as it was changed and we're not allowed to have it. Am I supposed to make some effort to notify his son when he's made it clear he wants nothing to do with his father? His father, by the way, was the one who raised him alone after bio mom decided she needed to "go find herself". I know asking this may sound silly but no one is guaranteed tomorrow and we're getting older every day, and I honestly wouldn't know what to do. My initial thought - don't even try to notify the son, I mean he's made his feelings pretty clear. But when I've brought this up to a couple people, I get a strange look like that just isn't right. What is the right thing to do?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County