SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_butler6422

Foundation landscaping help needed (Piedmont of NC, zone 7)

Cindy B.
8 years ago

We had some large, old laurel shrubs in our front that lived their useful life. We pulled them out last weekend, and now need to replant. The house faces due west, so the front will be shady until around mid-day, but has full afternoon/evening sun (as mentioned, we're in the piedmont of NC, zone 7). We have an existing large holly at the corner on one side and a large osmanthus on the other corner, plus 2 knock-out roses by the front steps. I had someone that works at a local nursery give me a simple design that calls 2 hoogendorn hollies under each window, 3 Encore azeleas in front of them, some low-growing loropetalum in front of the holly/osmanthus and 2 sky pencil hollies right to the outside of the door. I think that design is simple enough, but I'm wondering if the azeleas would flourish in that hot afternoon/evening sun. Any other ideas/suggestions, or like the current plan? By the way, there is about 3' between the ground and the bottom of the windows. I'd prefer something low-maintenance, that won't grow taller than 3' and above the bottom of the windows (which is what drove me nuts about the old laurel shrubs).

Comments (13)