SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littleprince2

Should I slice a bedroom in two?

littleprince2
8 years ago

Below, you will see a not-to-scale layout of my home.

Problem:

I think I need another bedroom. 1. My children are getting older, and will need their own bedrooms at some point (they currently share Bedroom #1). 2. As well, my mother would like to come and stay, and there is currently no room for her.

What I'm considering doing, and would like your feedback on:

- Divide Bedroom #2 into 2 small bedrooms (called 2a and 2b, for clarity). To get to the far bedroom at the top of the picture (2a), you'd have to go through a pocket/sliding door in the lower bedroom (2b) (see inspiration pics, below). The far bedroom would be my daughter's bedroom. The lower bedroom (2b) would start out as my son's bedroom, and then, when privacy becomes an issue, 2b would become a guest bed/office, and son would move to Bedroom #1.

- Bedroom #1 would start out as a guest bedroom/office, and would switch to my son's bedroom when privacy becomes an issue.

- Bedroom #3 would become my bedroom (I'm currently in bedroom #2). People can get to back deck via side door on the left of the picture (not ideal, but oh well). Currently, Bedroom #3 is being used as a playroom/office.

I live in a family-oriented neighbourhood and the houses nearby are typically 3/4-bed 2-bath. Lots of kids on my street. Most homes in my area have a finished basement where the 3rd/4th bedroom goes. My basement is unfinished, and while I *could* finish it, it's really a lot of money that I would rather not spend, if possible.

So my questions are;

1. Given the amount of room, is my plan possible?

2. Is this an OK idea given that I'm effectively taking a large bedroom (for my area) down to 2 smallish ones?

Thank you.

LittlePrince2.

Inspiration pics showing walk-through bedroom with pocket door.

Park Slope, Brooklyn Rowhouse · More Info

Park Slope, Brooklyn Rowhouse · More Info

Comments (10)