SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aaronriggs

Sloped concrete next to foundation. Need ideas for repair.

aaron r
8 years ago

Hello. My wife and I recently bought our first house. It has a concrete block foundation. Built in the 40s.

Roughly ten or more years ago, previous homeowners installed a concrete patio/walkway next to the foundation at one corner of the house. Today, the concrete is sloped toward the foundation just enough so that water pools next to the foundation when it rains. A few days ago, I discovered a light seeping of water in our basement at the same corner where the water pools on the exterior. See photos for a visual.

As a first time buyer, I've done a little research to understand that this is a bad thing. Water should get far away from the foundation, not pool next to it. So I thought I'd reach out and ask for some opinions on what I should do?

1) Should I remove all the concrete? Rebuild slope?

2) Should I just remove a portion of the concrete, closest to the house, then build up a positive slope with drainage?

3) Can I add some type of concrete on top of the concrete to create a positive slope?

What would be easiest and least expensive, yet give me the best results?

I have a suspicion that the foundation has settled further due to the pooling next to the house. A bathroom on the second floor in the same corner of the concrete patio has a slight tilt in the direction of the pooling... could it be that the foundation has settled further due to the negative slope?

Thanks for the feedback!

This is my basement, showing water leaking in behind the drywall.

Comments (8)