SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrinavhh

When should I buy a new washer and dryer?

katrinavhh
8 years ago

Hi there! TIA for your help. I relied on GardenWeb when we built our house 7 years ago and really can't imagine how lonely it would have been without the advice!

I was overwhelmed by decisions then, so I kept our old washer and dryer and never "finished" the laundry room. Now, 7 years and two more kids later, I am doing more laundry than I can comfortably admit to (about 10-15 loads a week, depending on the bedding that needs washing, whether the kids played a lot of muddy sports, etc.) and I wonder if it's time to replace them. I also, admittedly, would love the room to be completed, with cabinetry, etc., since I spend a lot of time in there. :)

Our current models are a set of 11 year old "Whirlpool Ultimate Care II" that my husband's decorator (!) chose when he was a bachelor. I have had minor repairs in the past, and when I ask the repairman when to replace, he says "don't." His reasons are that the new models are made of plastic and therefore not durable, require repairs often, develop problems more frequently, etc. He also says the new features are not necessary. Given this sample size of 1, I'd love more opinions!

They work fine, mostly, except that the dryer seems to always need a second run to fully dry towels, and I wish I could fit more in the washer.

So, when should I replace our old models? Or, should I keep them until they truly fall apart and just build a new laundry room around them?

Comments (4)