SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
begonia2015

Complete novice needs help with inherited hydrangeas in the back yard

begonia2015
8 years ago

I am writing to ask for some help with saving two pitiful hydrangea plants in our flower bed - if at all possible. :-(

I must confess this is a flower bed that has been going mostly unattended since we moved into this house in summer 2011. This is in the Atlanta area.

As a mother of two with a full-time career and a generally frantic schedule, I have not had the time to keep up the pretty garden we took over from the previous owners of the house. The lady was a SAHM who loved gardening so the flower beds looked very nice and prim when we got the house. She told us the garden was mostly self-growing and that we did not do anything special.

I am OK with container gardening but by the time I must deal with the big, wide outdoors - I am virtually clueless. The flower bed in the back includes 2 hydrangea plants that looked very nice when we moved in and were certainly blooming at the time (blue flowers).

This plant bed is very long and relatively narrow and lines the back deck which is raised. It goes all the way around it. This is the reason why the plants in this bed is not visible on a day-to-day basis - unless you go in the back and look at them on purpose (which I do somewhat rarely).

There are other plants in that flower bed, all perennials - including some that never bloom but have wide, spady-shaped, light green shiny leaves that grow in low-laying bushes (have no clue what they are called but they seem to be favored by those who need some no fuss plants; plus a big, tall holly bush in the middle).

In the fall, leaves from the surrounding tress fall in that flower bed and mulch the entire area. During the summer, some weeds have found their way in but i am not sure what to do about that.

Upon return from a 2 1/2 months trip overseas this summer, I realized these two hydrangeas not only have not bloomed in a while but are now looking as if they are in serious trouble.

I wonder at this point whether I can still do anything to save them or they need to be dug out and have new plants planted there.

I took some pictures because I can't even begin to describe what is with them. All I can say is that I have not done anything to these hydrangeas since we moved into this house in summer 2011. No watering (other than natural rain), no fertilizer, no pulling weeds around them - nothing. Just wild growing. I just didn't know any better. :-(

If you could take a look at the pictures and give a verdict and/or any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Leaves are scorched, main stems have dark spots (is this maybe suggestive of disease?...). I thought about the plants having possibly gone through a hot summer (I heard GA had a very hot one while we were gone overseas)...but I don't think that is just scorching from heat. Stems look sick to me.

I suspect that at this point we will probably have to bring a landscape company to deal with the weeds in the entire flower bed, the possibly depleted soil (though it gets leaf mulches every year), possible disease...who knows?

If I could do anything myself, I would do it.

Thank you so much in advance for any guidance!

Comments (5)