SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockin_zappy

Can anyone help a novice? (long & pics)

rockin_zappy
13 years ago

Hello kind folks! I lurk on this forum a lot but I don't think I've ever posted. I haven't done much gardening before, but we bought this house 2 years ago and I would really love to have a garden. I'm interested in cottage gardening because I love the plants, I love the mix of colors and textures, and I love the informal, homey look to it. I've looked at the pictures you all have shared on this forum and they are all beautiful.

So here's the deal with me. I don't really know how to get started. I have a two-year-old boy and I'm currently pregnant with my second who is due in April, so I can't really do a lot of the digging, lifting, and other work involved with starting new beds and planting things without a LOT of help. And once my new baby is born, I'm not sure I'll have the time to give the garden the attention it needs, since most of my time and attention will go to my two kids. My husband doesn't do any yard work except mowing, raking and weed-whacking, and frankly I don't trust him with the flowers. Nevertheless, I would like to start planning for when I do have the time. I would like to work with what I already have, but I don't know how to plan beds or what to plant where. I'm posting some pictures of my (UGLY!) front and back yard so y'all can see what I have to work with. I'm looking for ideas, advice, and information on how to get started. Basically, if this was your property, what would you do with it? (And pretend you're talking to an idiot because I'm still learning what a lot of the terms are.)

I'm in zone 6b, SW Missouri. My soil contains red clay and lots of rocks, but I haven't noticed any drainage problems. The backyard gets more sun than the front yard. Our house faces East. Feel free to ask any questions and be brutally honest. I'm looking for a brainstorm of ideas! Thanks a million to anyone who replies.

HERE'S THE FRONT YARD:

HERE'S THE BACK YARD:

Comments (29)

• ianna
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm glad that you want to have a nice floral garden, but you have to be honest with yourself here. Gardens do require maintenance and lots of work. So with a young child and another to come along soon, do you really think you can handle a garden plan now? You have a large garden space with great potentials. To me, I managed it despite my pregnancy (8 years ago) and even shortly after my baby was born. But in my case, gardening was a calling, I enjoy it and do not consider any task a chore. So if you feel you are quite up to the challenge.. Here's what to do.

Set up the flower garden in the views from your windows or doors. Place it facing you when you walk out to your back yard. Once you identify the area, set about deciding how large the bed should be. Keep in mind a toddler loves to run about and give your kids a lot of room to romp around and do damage. Once you've settled on the location and size of the bed, start creating the bed. -- an easy way to go about this is using newspapers to cover up the area that will be the bed and topping theseup with a thick layer of earth. This will kill off the grass and you can plant immediately into this bed.

next decide on what plants you'd like to see. So here's where you will need to research. My way is to id the colours I like best and then based on that colur I look for plants.

----------------

Any form of gardening requires maintenance. So if your first thought is it's too much work or I don't have the time, then I would suggest you don't tackle gardening until you can feel that you are prepared to do the time. It means seasonal amendments, prunings, seedings, weedings. transfering plants, etc...

• HerbLady49
    13 years ago

You have lots of space, but if you look at the big picture you're just going to get frustrated. My advice for a new gardener is to start small. You already have a good start with the space in front of your porch. The wood edgers are already installed. The secret in any great garden is the soil. If you concentrate on preparing that small spot in the front yard then planting will be a breeze. Kill the grass by laying black plastic on the top. Go out and buy some bags of compost or manure and in November lay in on the top of your soil about 4-5 inches thick. Next spring turn it into the soil with some peat moss and you'll be ready to plant.

Winter is a great time to plan. Start a garden journal. Concentrate on only one garden at a time. Plant what you like. Perennials are like furniture. Most can be moved. Fill the bare spots in with annuals until your perennials fill in. Gardening is supposed to relieve stress. As you get experienced, and if you can find the time you can always add on.

• Related Discussions

Gardening novice having trouble with new impatiens (pics)

Q

Comments (3)
    I watered them right before I took the pictures, so that explains why they appear wet. I have been watering them every day since I keep my apartment relatively dry (~40% humidity), and impatiens apparently like humidity. I have no idea how much is too much, though, so I'll try cutting back on the watering and see how they react. These plants have not ever been exposed to too much sun, as I have a north-facing balcony in Wisconsin, and they are usually indoors anyway. The plants were all doing well when I got them--they all had blooms. Now the situation with the plant I didn't photograph is getting dire, because the stem has collapsed, and all the leaves are covered with light brown splotches on their undersides. Is this one a goner?
    ...See More

Can Anyone help me out? (pics)

Q

Comments (1)
    Although I don't know exactly what you are dealing with in terms of pest, I wouldn't worry too much about the leaves. Maybe spray some dish soap in water on them and rinse off, or if things get really bad, you can always cut them all off and see if the new leaves that grow are healthy. Plumerias are very resistant and this is not something that will kill your plumeria, so don't stress too much. It's the stem you need to watch out for the most, making sure it stays firm and not mushy, that it is supported or at least protected from breakage. A plumeria can lose its leaves several times in a season and still be completely fine, although its growth may have been a little set back.
    ...See More

Anyone want to take a gander? (Long with pics)

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks for all the comments and information! I've been overwhelmed with other business the last few days, but I got to look around for some information last night and found some very similar pieces through ARTFACT.com. Tomorrow I hope to get to the library. TrueGrits -- It's interesting that you say you have an almost identical secretary, as we spied one very similar at our neighbor's home down the street. It's very odd to come face to face with something so similar to something that you know (Or thought!) is in limited supply in this world. Although I guess this was a very popular style, given all the examples I've seen. Also, interestingly enough, last night on Ebay, I found an auction from January for the exact same book we have that dates to 1695. It sold for only $1500 or so. :( It's actually the one peice we've considered selling, but not at that kind of price! It's truly an amazing book by Otavio Scarlatini; here's just a portion of the description: "describing and depicting the human body in its details and in its entirety in every aspect conceivable, from the anatomical, rational, moral, mystical, political, legal, etc. point of view, and furtherrmore as used in emblems, morals, mystics, proverbs, language symbols, prognostications, pictures, statues, history, rites, reflections, customs, numismatics, dedications, signatures, literary allegories, epitaphs, fables, wonders, medicine, dreams, etc." Can you imagine? We got our copy from DH's brother who got it from his father who was a well-known editor in NYC in the 70's. He apparently got it from a writer friend in lieu of payment for something (?)...don't remember the details, but as I recall, there's a typed letter in the book. Or maybe that's to the writer from whomever he got it from? Dunno... Anyway, here's a link if anyone's interested: Susan Here is a link that might be useful: Homo et ejus partes figuratus & symbolicus, anatomicus....
    ...See More

Can we talk patios? I need help. Long with pics.

Q

Comments (8)
    I can tell you what we've done, which looks like it would work for you as well, with the least amount of effort and money in materials. (Yes, we are DIYers too.) Several years ago we decided to do away with our grass because there wasn't enough of it, and 75 percent is under an oak tree where it doesn't grow well anyway. We just mulched the grass heavily to kill it out, and keep adding (pine bark) mulch every year since it tends to break down over the winter with weather. After doing this for several years, we have very few weeds. Because the mulch breaks down after while, it does need a thin surface layer once a year in the spring to keep it looking fresh. I think that would look the best since you wouldn't be adding another hard material like pavers, you wouldn't have to match anything and a natural look is always current. Your path and the landscape around it is what you really want to notice and adding another material would just distract your eye away from what makes your garden so beautiful. We also plant a container garden that goes in the area every year, and I choose brightly colored hummingbird annuals to put in the sun around our pond to feed my hummingbirds. There are things like fuchsias, ferns and gardenias in partial shade, and begonias for deep shade. It's pretty, very natural, and easy to maintain. If you wanted to dig out the grass, that would give you some depth in which to spread the mulch which would keep down the weeds beautifully, without needing any landscape fabric (which just seems to get in the way and is a big hassle to install.) Keeping it simple with just the mulch, gives you more room to ''landscape'' and putting your money into containers and maybe a fabulous fountain, makes the most sense. We've bought yards of mulch that were dumped on the driveway, and bought it in bags. After moving around mulch both ways, we actually think it's easier to put down mulch from bags without the immediacy of having to get a big pile off your driveway. When the season is over, plants go into the compost pile, and I turn my containers upside down under my cedars to live out the winter until next year. After so many years, I pretty much know how much I need now to fill them. I love my garden, and the low maintenance aspect of not having grass to mow makes me happy. You already have a beautiful garden. I don't think it will take much to tweak it to a place where you'll be happy too.
    ...See More
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Hi there! I think you should just start with the front garden whereyou walk up to your porch. Itll be sure to make you smile everytime you pass by, and will make your home look friendly and warm. I agree with the others, too many projects at once will end in frustration. So what are your favorite colors? Do you think the front gets enough sun? Maybe we can suggest some easy care perennials for your front. I think the railing of your porch would look great with some flowering vines. Im not sure if they get alot of sun, but blackeyed susan vine or morning glories would be so pretty!

• valree3
    13 years ago

You have a beautiful home and yard to work with! I agree with the others, you're going to have your hands full with two babies, so start small. Your front flower bed could be cleaned out and perennials, annuals and small shrubs could work really well in this space. The area is small enough to maintain till the kids get older. I would also add pots of flowers on your porch and maybe a couple of hanging pots. Instant color! Have a pot for your boy so he feels like he's helping and special because he's older. These little changes to the front yard can really make your yard come alive. Collect pics. of yards that you like( you'll soon see what colors and styles you like), check out the neighborhood yards, write ideas down and keep a folder or journal of these things and when the kids are older or when you have any free time (good luck!) you can tackle a few of these projects. Keep the projects small, they'll get done and you wont get overwhelmed! I like the book - Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch. She writes about basic gardening, from garden design and how to get started, soils to plants indoors and out, its easy to read and full of good ideas and info. Gardening makes you feel really good!!! Congrats on your new yard and baby! Valree

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Your property has a lot of potential! As others have said, gardening can be a lot of work so it would be helpful to learn some shortcuts.

If you are healthy now the easiest way to get rid of the weeds in that front bed which doesn't require lifting or digging is to overlap cardboard boxes - cut them open with a box cutter but make sure all open areas are covered by another piece. Cover the area from the porch to the wood edging. If there are any recognizable perennials there you can remove the weeds at their base and surround the plant with cardboard. I always water the area well and wet the boxes as I lay them down. Cover the cardboard to a depth of about 3" with some fine bark mulch (buy in bags or bulk if you have a pickup). Water this well and leave it until spring. The weeds decompose, enrich the soil, and feed the earthworms who will also add their castings (worm fertilizer). It's beneficial to have lots of earthworms in the soil as you won't have to buy as much (or any) fertilizer or amendments - they make it all by themselves if you 'feed' them. Your gardening season starts earlier than mine so the new baby may be due soon then and you won't want to do anything heavy. You might buy some medium or large pots (try yardsales for inexpensive ones), some good potting soil, and a few annuals to pretty up your porch or this new mulched bed. Later when you are up to it you can gradually buy or seed perennials and buy some annuals for this bed. You can make holes in the cardboard to plant if it hasn't decomposed fully by then.

I would suggest only doing this front bed at first as the back yard will be a play space for some time. You might pull the odd weed here and there if you are so inclined, especially before they go to seed. Just break off the dandelion flowers at least.

You have a lot of time to plan and learn about which plants you want. Besides online sites I recommend joining your local gardening club, visiting the library for gardening books and magazines, and perhaps taking a subscription to one gardening magazine and buying one book if you want to spend some money. It's not necessary tho as there is lots of free info available.

I also highly recommend learning about organic gardening as your precious children do not need to have extra noxious chemicals in their environment. You might start a compost pile soon so you will have some good, free soil amendments by spring. Link below is to frequently asked questions on the Soil Forum here at GW.

Since your lawn looks weedy and in need of nutrients you might check out the Organic Lawn Care forum - http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/orglawn/ Using organic products to help your lawn is so much safer for your children than using synthetic products. Ask your DH if he has the mower set at it's highest setting which will help with the weeds.

All the best, enjoy, and don't try to do it all at once, gardening is a process not a destination. Feel free to ask any questions here as there are many knowledgeable gardeners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Forum FAQ

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

oh yeah, i wanted to add that now is a great time to request some catalogs to get you through the winter and give you ideas. Bluestone perrenials just mailed one to me...heaven!!

• thrills
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I strongly encourage you to start a compost pile for your kitchen wastes and to start some piles for leaves this fall. Home Improvement stores usually sell wire sheets ~4ft by ~8ft with openings larger than chicken wire. They can easily be set up into a wide cylindrical shape using cable ties/wire/velcro and then you can pile up your leaves in them all fall. Get neighbor's leaves too. :) Next year you will have the beginning of some nice composted leaves for amending your soil and/or mulching. You defintiely will want to be amending your soil.

You might also consider if you want shrubs along any part of the inside perimeter of your back yard. If you start now and get the less expensive, smaller plants, within a few years you will have an established background for your garden beds. Actually, I would pile up leaves now in areas where you might want to plant shrubs in the spring. You would let nature do the job of breaking them down and improving the soil. I'm a bit lazy like that though. You and/or your hubby might object to various piles of leaves.

Also just take time to be in your yard and consider how you all like to use it. Where are spots you like to hang out and where are places you tend to find yourself looking at and wishing there was a different view there. Sometiems I move around chairs or place shovels in the ground in places where I am considering a shrub, and then look at it from different angles. Helps me to plan.

I do think the bed in front of your porch would be a great place to start. Looks like a fair amount of shade, so go for some shade lovers. Spring bulbs might be good to plant since it looks as though the shade is from a deciduous tree. If it was my yard, I would lay down either newspaper or cardboard and then pile up leaves in that front bed now to smother out the grass and weeds, and plant in the spring.

I'd also tuck in some spring blooming bulbs in the yard--just a few pockets of crocus, chionodoxia, squill, small narcissus, etc. They should be fairly easy to get in the ground (use a tall shovel, dig a hole while standing, get son or hubby to drop some bulbs in the hole, root side down if possible. =) Hm, I'm pretty sure some spring bulbs, including narcissus, can be toxic, but I think only if eaten in large quantities. Not like you will get sick from touching a bulb, still, use your discretion there.

I'd pick out a shrub for the right hand side of the garden area below the porch (4th pic down). Maybe a hydrangea? Also, in 5th pic down, there is that vase shaped shrub...I'd replace it with a row of shrubs. It kind of looks just plopped down there. Hydrangea, sweet spire, kerria, clethra maybe?...looks like it's in a bit of shade.

We moved to our house last November and I have been thinking of doing the same thing you have done--post pictures and ask for ideas. A whole yard at once IS very overwhelming. But, bit by bit, it gets done, with so much fun and discovery along the way. I also think gardening with a baby can be much fun. I have fond memories of my baby in a stroller while I worked on our gardens. Sometimes a new baby also feels overwhelming! And having a mom hobby like gardening is not only great excersize, but can be great for one's mental health. :)

I also got an aerial view of our yard and printed it out, and it helped me visually how I'd like to see the garden perimeter looking.
    Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: hort mag poisonous plants list

• rockin_zappy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice! Luckygal, that suggestion about the cardboard and the info about soil was very helpful! I do have a nice supply of earthworms, I learned that from digging in that flowerbed earlier this year.

I am looking forward to composting this year's leaves instead of hauling them off to the recycling center. I am very interested in organic gardening since it seems safer, more economical, and a good way to use nature to your advantage!

You're all right about starting small. When I look at all this space it seems like a daunting task to take on, so I'll follow your suggestions and start with that front flowerbed and gradually add on as my kids get older. I love spring bulbs so that's a good idea, and I'll look into getting some shrubs (when's a good time to plant?) The area in front does get some sunlight during the late morning and early afternoon but I wouldn't consider it full sun. Anyone have some ideas for perennials that are OK with partial shade and are easy on the beginner? I've looked at some online perennial catalogs and they don't always give info about ease of care.

You're also right about it being pretty weedy. No one lived here for a long time before we moved in, so the yard got out of control. My husband mows once a week, and we tried seeding it with grass seed to try and crowd out the weeds, but it didn't help much. So I'll check out the organic lawn care forum because I don't want to use chemicals.

Also, anyone know what that young tree is in my front yard? I thought it was a flowering dogwood because the leaves look similar, but it has never bloomed and it's not really "shaped" like the other flowering dogwoods in my area. And it doesn't look healthy to me either, but then I don't know much about caring for trees.

Thanks again, everyone, and happy gardening!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Hi, I think you have a really nice piece of property. I love the mature trees in the front! You have a fence to keep your kids safe and give you some privacy. Great porch! You will be able to really have a great garden there. I was going to say your front lawn looked pretty good...lol. I think if you are not satisfied with the lawn, going to the organic lawn care forum is a great idea.

You've already gotten a lot of great advice so I'm just going to reinforce what they have already said. I remember when my focus was entirely on one two year old, a new baby and keeping my balance right up until they were ready for school....lol. They really kept me busy. I did manage a vegetable garden, but I started it before I was expecting my two youngest. So, maybe you have more time now to get started then you will later, but whatever you start might not get a lot of your attention once the new baby comes. For me, I'd rather have a small garden bed well cared for, then have larger beds that I couldn't get to and they look awful.

A few other ideas....Lasagna Gardening. There are books you can get out of the library to explain the technique. It is more along the lines of the advice you received about laying down cardboard and putting soil on top of it. We use a LOT of cardboard or newspaper. It's great for building your soil and keeping down weeds with mulch on it. When you are starting a bed and you have weeds or lawn where you want the bed, lasagna methods are layering organic materials to build up your soil and yes, adding soil and finished compost as the final layer, you can plant right into it. Or you can leave the whole thing over the winter and be ready to plant in the spring. It's really like composting in place. The two big advantages are building up the soil, and not having to dig out lawn or weeds.

If you start with the front flower bed, you could include the porch in your plans if you have the time or inclination. You could plan on adding a window box or hanging container or one or two larger pots [20 inches?] to add to your porch area near the door or the steps, and add pansies or other spring flowers in the spring. So even if you are really busy with the baby, you will at least have flowers to look at near your door every time you walk in and out. You might even see pots on sale now. You can check out yard sales or Freecycle for free pots and other garden 'stuff' if you have time and want to save money.

It's a great time for sales now and for the next month, usually 50% off later. Find your local nurseries and see if they have a website to sign up for email notification when they have sales. You might want to look for hoses and a hose reel and a hose nozzle [DRAMM has been the best for me] for the front and back that might be on sale this time of year. Quick connects are the greatest invention for hoses and nozzles. I found two water powered hose reels at one of my local nurseries last year in October 50% off and I love them. Gardening gloves, a pretty kneeling pad, a watering can, two stainless steel trowels that won't rust if you leave them out by mistake. If you don't find them on sale, ask for things you will need for next year, as Christmas gifts.

If you are thinking of getting bulbs, Brent and Becky's is a great company to order from. They have a 50% off sale late in the fall. You can get email notification for their sales. Right now they are doing 10% off certain bulbs every week, but soon everything that is left will be 50% off. If you get an order in right away and plant as soon as you get them, you should do very well with them.

Before you start adding shrubs, I would really take my time choosing the right shrubs. That is something you might want to plan over the winter with a good book on shrubs or landscaping. I would start with the front of the house around the foundation. If you are in a hurry, a local nursery could help you choose the right shrubs. Fall is a great time to plant and to get 50% off on shrubs and trees. I would think next spring you might be too busy, so it's either this fall or next fall or any spring or fall after that. You don't usually want to plant in the heat of summer. You just want to be sure you understand what and where you are planting because shrubs are not as easy to move. Ask me how I know. [g]

The tree in the front, in photo #6 with brown edges on the leaves....it looks like a Kousa Dogwood to me, but I am no expert. I don't know about you, but we had an awfully hot and dry summer and I have a number of shrubs and trees that look like that. It is from dryness that the leaves look like that. I think it will be fine next spring, but you should be careful to make sure it gets a good watering every week from now until the ground freezes. And any other plants in the yard, like the lilac in the back.

I know we threw a lot at you, but you can choose as much or as little as you want to pay attention to. Take your time, pace yourself and enjoy gardening. I spent every winter reading gardening books when I was just starting out and the library was a great resource. You could start another thread asking for book recommendations. This fall, try to take advantage of the best sales of the year to get any supplies you need and choose a project that will make you the happiest and concentrate on that.

I hope you enjoy your pregnancy and have fun with your new interest in gardening. Welcome to the forum... :-)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I am a Missouri Zone 6 gardener too. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new home. I love the mature trees and that fenced yard will be so great for the babies!

They have given you good advice! Start small so you don't get frustrated and just give up. The front porch is where I would start too. Do the lasagna method using newspapers or cardboard or whatever paper you can find. I wet them heavily first. Completely cover that bed. Then use the free leaves from yours and the neighbors trees. Most people bag them and haul them off or have them picked up....they will be happy to give them to you. Just let that bed decompose all fall and winter. By next spring I bet you can dig in it with a hand shovel. I also compost under the cardboard by placing only green kitchen waste, coffee grounds, egg shells - no greasy, meat scraps under it in various places. There will be no smell and it won't attract dogs or cats.

I also would suggest going to Bluestone Perennials website and do a custom plant search. Put in your info and see what plants come up. It will be very helpful.

Don't forget annuals! They are easy and cheap! They also have the advantage of blooming until frost which most perennials don't do.

If the front bed goes well. My next would be the corner in the back yard which looks to be in full sun. I would keep all flowers along fences so the children won't be tempted to run through them. I would also stay away from thorny plants. Planting things that attract butterflies would be a plus for them.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Enjoy the pregnancy and take this time to plan and research different plants. The computer will be worth its weight in gold for this.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    13 years ago

For easy to maintain perrenials in partial shade I'd look at hostas. They are long lived and maintain attractive foliage all season long.

• newbiehavinfun
    13 years ago

Okay, as a 2nd step novice, I think I can help you with pointing out my own mistakes (there's also a great post about newbie mistakes if someone has the link):

1. Start with one bed at a time. I cannot stress this enough. I rented a rototiller so I thought I'd get the most out of it by starting multiple beds at once. Big mistake! Start small so you'll have time to nurture what you plant.

2. Low maintenance plants are only low maintenance in the correct placement. Take into consideration the soil, rainfall and humidity of your area--these are major variables affecting plants. You might also want to post on Missouri Gardening.

Keeping that in mind, here are some plants that I found to be low maintenace where I live:

Hosta
    Siberian iris
    Daylily
    Rudbeckia
    Miscanthus (and other grasses)
    Lobelia vedriansis (I know I spelled that wrong)
    Limelight hydrangea
    Aucuba japonica

Good luck!

Megan

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

Welcome! I'll agree with everyone else on starting small, but I'll also mention another idea - if you have anything that requires maintenance, plant it where you are going to be spending time and will notice it! Since you have the playset in the backyard, you may want to start a small bed back there, where you will likely be able to tend to it while the toddler plays and the baby is either on a blanket in the grass or in a sling or mei tai baby carrier (back carries are great for gardening!).

Personally, I like starting in the back yard, also because that way your neighbors don't see your mistakes. ;)

• bev2009
    13 years ago

When we built our new home five years ago, I had already been gardening for several years, but I didn't have an expertise on trees and shrubs. I hired the owner of a local nursery to come and do a "paint out." We talked about what I was looking for and then he took into consideration soil, lighting, etc. He took a can of spray paint and painted out the gardens in the front. Then he took little flags, wrote the name of the shrub/tree and placed the flag in the soil in the appropriate place. He then gave me a list of all the shrub/trees. I was free to buy then from whenever I wanted and plant them at my own leisure and it gave me lots of room to plan out perennials and annuals on my own. This saved me from planting the big items and then having to try and move then later if they didn't turn out.

A couple of years later I had him come out when we wanted to add some tree/shrubs in the backyard. We still haven't added everything he recommended, but we are working on it.

It takes a long time to learn about annuals/perennials/shrubs/trees/vegetables,etc. This really worked for me and I am having so much fun playing with the flowers each year.

You have a very nice house with great potential for gardens! We didn't have a fenced yard when my two little ones were around (born a year apart on the same day.) We put up a little 12' x 12' enclosure for them. It didn't even have a gate. The neighbors called it my pig pen, but it allowed me to work in the garden without children running away. Those early years are such a special time...enjoy!

Bev

• anele_gw
    13 years ago

I am a novice gardener (truly!) with 4 young children. I echo the suggestion of starting small. I have been thinking about how to approach gardening for the last 5 years (trying to kill an overgrown weed garden that was here, too, w/o pesticides) and didn't know where to start.

Someone suggested catalogs. This is the best idea. While online is nice, I have to say, I've learned a LOT from those catalogs this year (about specific plants), even more than the books from the library. I knew very little this spring and between the catalogs and many trips to Home Depot and several nurseries, I finally feel a little less intimidated.

What I focused on was my front garden, right outside my door. My backyard is a lot like yours, and that will take years to make an impact. While I still have a long way to go in the front, I am glad I got started this year. It's very manageable and I have a small sense of accomplishment.

My other piece of advice (that I wish I knew this spring) was you should focus on SHRUBS first, more than perennials. You just get a lot more bang for your buck with shrubs-- and this will provide the backbone for your plan. Since they are harder to dig out ("undo"), you should really research what you want . . .in my case, I focused on a long bloom time and want the cottage garden look, so I got hydrangeas.

If you want a veg. garden, pick your sunny spot, but take it from me-- try to keep it close to your back door. I didn't and even though our yard isn't huge, the walk to get the veggies felt far when I was trying to make dinner. I am going to move it for the next season. I found this an easy aspect of gardening . . .we stuck with just tomatoes, basil, carrots, and pumpkins. Very little work with a lot of benefit!

I have found gardening with young children challenging. My children are 8, 5, 3, and 10 months, so for much of the time we've lived here (5 years) I've had an infant, and my children as infants rarely nap, get fussy on my back (in a carrier) when I bend over to garden, and the 10 month old just eats grass non-stop when I put her down. BUT, I just plan, plan, plan and then stick things in when I have a chance. I put off actually doing something for so long because I didn't know what I was doing . . now I just go for it.

Other than time, my biggest challenge has been $. I have spent SO MUCH on my garden this year (I don't even want to add it up) and not much to show for it . . .my tips for show without a ton of $ are:

-Hydrangeas and other shrubs at Home Depot
    -Zinnias from seed
    -Annuals and tomato plants at your local grocery store
    -the 50% off (or so) sale at Bluestone in the spring (though I would not order shrubs from them again-- too small)

Have fun!!!

• thrills
    13 years ago

You might also consider winter sowing perennial seeds this year. As if you need another project..I know. :P
    But, really, perennials can add up in cost, and starting them from seed is the slow route, but can be immensely satisfying. There is a Winter Sowing forum in the gardenweb.

• peaceofmind
    13 years ago

I can't resist adding my suggestions even though you've gotten some good ideas already. I agree with putting down cardboard and paper and covering it with soil or whatever you can get. If you live near Springfield they have wonderful compost and mulch at the leaf and tree dump southwest of town. I'm a veteran gardener but I still plant annuals from seed the first year of a new bed. That way I have a chance to really study the sun and moisture patterns in the bed. The one thing I would suggest you plant this year is some spring bulbs. Buy some daffodils and crocus as they will return year after year. Tulips are a little trickier. Just get bulbs at Lowes or Walmart. Let your son help plant them and he'll be so impressed when they bloom next year.

I think your front yard tree is a dogwood. It needs some water bad. Give it a good drink and it will be very grateful. Check it for gray/white bud like things on it. If it has them it is going to bloom next year. I think it looks very healthy, it is just young.

We all started right where you are and we all have made lots of mistakes. Just have fun and your yard will be a showplace in a few years. If you are a gardener you'll find the time to garden.

• Eduarda
    13 years ago

I think you have been given all sorts of good advice, so I'll just add my voice to the general chorus: smart small. That bed in front of your porch is an excellent candidate for lasagna gardening. Research and plant some shrubs in there as well, not just perennials, so that you have something to look at in Winter, even if it's deciduous. That porch of yours is really darling and you could decorate it a bit further, using plants in containers, if they make it through your Winter, and some seasonal related items, such as Fall, Halloween, Christmas, etc. With two small children I don't think you can realistically accomplish much more without help. Just concentrate on a small portion, build on it and plan for the future years when you'll have more time.

Eduarda

• cedarglen
    13 years ago

Welcome!

I won't say much since you've had so much advice already. I just wanted to cheer you on as someone who is in nearly the exact same stage of life as you. We bought our house 2.5 years ago, I have a toddler and we expect to be expecting again pretty soon... as you know too well, it's hard to find time for anything as a mother of young kids. However, I have spent a lot of time in the garden and it has morphed into a huge passion for me. I garden during nearly every nap - so my house isn't as tidy as it could be and I don't get much else done - but it is the perfect antidote to spending the day with a busy boy. I come in feeling refreshed and I find myself thinking about my garden a lot and mentally drawing up plans, which is fun. My little boy also spends a lot of time outdoors and is already a budding nature lover. Good things.

Have fun, start small, and use those nap times. I'm not sure how that will work when I have two kiddos, but I hope to find a way... Also, I visit local plant sales in the spring to add to my stash of plants. Nearly everything in my yard has been amazingly cheap - like 50 cents cheap - and I have a lot of plants now. It's kind of like a treasure hunt, and whenever I need to get out of the house and don't have more pressing errands I check out a nursery or box store for deals. Good luck!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I thought of something else. I got a subscription to Organic Gardening magazine when I first started gardening and looked forward to every issue. Now I get issues out of the library once in awhile. I just saw an article in the Aug/Sept 2010 issue, on building a new flower bed, using the lasagna method. Photos and all. Another idea to ask for as a Christmas gift.

Someone mentioned local communities that produce compost. I have found that a little frustrating. All that free compost and none of it organic. [g] Everyone's yard waste, from lawns that use chemicals and who knows what else. It was very tempting, but in the end, I just felt like after all the efforts I was making to remain organic, I just didn't want to undo it all. I only use my own home made compost, or store bought organic compost rarely because it is expensive, or I use lasagna methods to sheet compost in place. I also use cover crops in the vegetable garden that add to the fertility and build up the soil.

• lily51
    13 years ago

Your property has great potential..and it looks like a former owner did have gardens at one time.

Since the front of your house faces east, it's shady and drier. Hostas are a great idea, also coral bells would do well there as a backdrop. There are many kinds of both. Some impatiens would add summer-long color, but they do need watered every day if there's been no rain.

I would suggest also to keep simple and build from there so you don't get overwhelmed. Lots of great advice here.
    Keep us posted next spring on the garden and the baby!

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I agree with some of the others..You have lots of potential there but if it were me, I'd start out making the front flower bed first. It's what you and all your neighbors and passer-bys see. They don't see behind that fenced area. Save those areas for last. Sit down and decide what colors you like best. Do you have any favorite flowers? I would start out with flowers that perennials in the back of the bed. These come back year after year and you can make more plants but dividing them as they grow and also taking cuttings. Use some container plants near your entrance. By the way, are there some hidden steps to get up on the front porch that we can't see in the pictures? I'm assumming they are hidden and are near the driveway? Since you mention that you are pregnant now, I'd start out with a few container plantings on that porch to give color there. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day..Ask friends or family for cuttings or to save seeds from their plants that you like. I'd stick to flowers that are low maintence and give you color for that front bed. Is there anybody that can help you get started and can do the digging and composting you will need? Does your city offer FREE leaf mulch? Take advantage of that if available or ask neighbors for their leaves. There are a lot of good advice offered here in all the posted messages. Read them all and start yourself a garden journal of helpful hints. All you need is either a 3 ring notebook or what we used to call a composition book with spiral binding. You can pick up 3 ring binders at yardsales for practically nothing. I like to buy the white 3 ring binders at office supply stores where you can insert a colorful page in the front of the book under the plastic sleeve. Invest in some sheet protectors for pictures from magazines that inspire you. Use your public library for ideas, you can even check out gardening magazines for inspiration. Order flower catalogues to give you ideas too. Good Luck! Did you mention the ages of your children? I see the swing set in the back yard so I'm assumming they are under 6 yrs. old?

• seamommy
    13 years ago

That little tree in your front yard does look a little like a dogwood, but it's so small it may just not be ready to bloom yet. Also the shape is awful and needs to be trimmed up to a nice tree shape. Get a bypass pruner and trim it up. It has just been neglected, but with a little care and feeding it should be a very nice looking tree in a few years. Cheryl

• newbiehavinfun
    13 years ago

I would echo anele's sentiments about not buying shrubs from Bluestone as they are too small, except for Limelight hydrangea. Those suckers just take off and are a big bang for your buck. My three year olds are 5 foot tall!

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

I'm almost positive that small tree in your front yard is indeed a dogwood...they don't always flower when they are smaller or in stress...that little guy looks like he needs some regular watering during the summer.

I agree on other poster's ideas to start a garden in the front where there is already the border. Once you start there, and you get a hang of things, and you see the success you have there, you may be inspired to start gardens in other places as well.

I concur that hostas tend to be fairly forgiving and quite beautiful. You may also want to try some ferns if you are in the Eastern half of the state (I believe it will be drier and hotter in the western side so they would take a bit more care).

Good luck and congrats on the house ;).

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

I did not read all the posts, so I don't know if anyone mentioned lasagna gardening.

I am a widow with multiple back surgeries.
    My best friend lives with me and is also a widow with many back surgeries also.

I moved into this house Nov. 03, 2007. The 1st picture is Feb, 2008. You can see we were puting down cheap roofing paper. Roofing paper is much easier than cardboard or news paper. the "tar"on the roofing paper is not toxic. I found tons of earth worms in a few months.

{{gwi:10134}}

Sept.2008

{{gwi:685622}}

Aug. 2008

{{gwi:685624}}

Please do some research on lasagna gardening and I promise you will have to do little digging.

Do your "beds" and mulch them. When spring arrives you will be able to plant as needed and not dig the whole area.
    Mulch looks good until you can add plants.

Also check for plant swaps in your area, or start one yourself.

March 2009....13 months after putting down the roofing paper.

{{gwi:651129}}

Start collecting leaves now. You can just pile them in the back yard until you need them.

email me if you have any questions.

plantmaven@gmail.com

Kathy

• rockin_zappy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help. My stepmom is giving me her extra daffodil and hyacinth bulbs, and I'm going to look for some tulips so I will have spring blooms! I've planted bulbs before so at least I know what I'm doing there. The weather is still nice here and it hasn't frosted yet so it's a good time to plant.

Plantmaven, thanks for your suggestion, but I wouldn't know where to get roofing paper and I already have tons of cardboard lying around, so I'll probably end up using that first.

I also plan to get some hosta for the front next year. They look very nice and seem to be easy to grow, but I will have to get some slug traps since I have a lot of those nasty little things around here.

Are heucheras easy to grow? I saw some online and thought they would look pretty with the hosta, but they're also expensive and I don't want to spend the money on them if they need babying since I won't have the time right now.

I'm also looking at other possibilities for that front bed, and it's quite fun! I'm really looking forward to actually growing some things!

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

Sounds like a good start! Btw, you can interplant hostas and bulbs nicely, since hostas start their new spring growth later than a lot of other plants. And for slug traps, a small saucer of beer works nicely to drown them.

As for heucheras, I've had good luck with Plum Pudding, which is supposed to be one of the more reliable cultivars. I think they may be somewhat fussy about the conditions they like, so I'd probably start small and see how they do. Some of the really cool new cultivars may not be as reliable - and they tend to be 3x as expensive, so I haven't given in to temptation yet. However, my Plum Pudding heucheras are one of my lowest maintenance perennials, so I'd definitely give them a try.

• newbiehavinfun
    13 years ago

Rockin,

Not all hostas are easy (and in my experience, most heuchera are NOT -- I don't even bother with them anymore, despite the beautiful colors). "Patriot" is pretty easy and brightens up a shady spot with variegated foliage. I would look at FAQ's on the Hosta forum for guidance on that, and also maybe post a question about vigorous growers if you're looking to fill in a spot quickly. Hydrangea can be pretty easy as long as they get lots of water in the summer (hence the name). I've found Lemon Wave, Endless Summer and Limelight to be easy and satisfying to grow. Foxglove does well in partial shade but is toxic, so if your kids play in the front yard that's a no-go. Hakonechloa, Japanese Forest Grass, is beautiful in shade but hard to find cheap (maybe wait for Bluestone's 50% off sale). Happy planting!

Sponsored