SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dhabes_gw

Novice needs help with a new redwood deck

dhabes
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am a hobbyist carpenter about to complete the building of my first deck, and am trying to plan out the sanding/cleaning/sealing process. I am very new to the whole deck process and want to do it right so I've been doing a lot of research. Wow, I would have thought there would be less discussion on how to do this seeing as structures have been made out of wood for hundreds of years. The more I read, the more I became confused, no one seems to be in agreement on anything. I've read a lot of threads but haven't read much on new decks, more on restoration.

(I live in Los Angeles. VERY little rain but tons of sun. Deck is partially covered during parts of the day by trees and house with shade)

First, a couple misconceptions I had. I thought the substructure of the deck (posts,beams,joists) is made from PT wood (because you can't seal it down the road) and the decking boards are typically untreated wood that you seal. But I've been seeing most people using PT wood for the decking boards AND sealing it (much nicer looking than the ugly dark brown PT wood I got from Home Depot). I bought redwood cause I loved the color and figured I could seal it, am I in trouble?

Next, I read in many places that the idea to place regular gaps (typically using nails) between decking boards is not a good idea because the wood will shrink and then you'll have much bigger gaps than you planned. So I installed the boards right up against one another. Again, trouble?

Finally, I thought since I can't seal the bottoms or sides of the boards once they are screwed in, I coated those sides with Thompsons (now I see no one likes it).

Most important is what's coming. Because of my "less than perfect" work, and Home Depot's not-so-straight PT wood, some of the decking boards are sticking out ~1/8". I would like to sand the whole surface down flat. I was planning on renting a floor sander with maybe 36 grit...does this sound like a good idea?

Everyone seems to pressure wash, but do I need to do this for a new deck? Same question goes for cleaning with chemicals.

My original plan was to put a clear coat on the redwood because I love the red/white color and didn't want to stain it, but I now understand that it will fade to gray. And I also understand that putting Thompsons on the top is not a good idea. So I'm going to look around at paint stores for some of the nicer brands you all have been mentioning. But can someone help mostly with the prep process on new redwood boards? The top has gotten a bit dirty through the building process, but it's still new wood.

Hopefully I can get some good advice soon, I want to start this weekend.

Thanks so much,

Dan

Comments (22)