SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dchall_san_antonio

Old house with challenging paint issues

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We bought a house last year and are finally getting around to remodeling. The two kids rooms were painted by the kids themselves. One is gloss pink and purple. The other is gloss red and blue with chrome/silver trim. The red and blue room was occupied by a child with anger issues. It has fist sized holes beaten into the walls in 5 spots. There is also one spot where there are letters carved into the wall, but not through the surface of the texture. The letters are only knife blade wide and you have to get the light just right to see them. There could be many more, who knows? Here's a picture of the red and blue room...

I have a couple questions.

When the holes are fixed in the walls, how do you match the texture? I would much prefer no texture at all, but apparently I'm in the minority on that. Smooth walls just seem cleaner to me. Anyway...

Can gloss paint be painted with anything? We want a light, pastel yellow for the final color. I was thinking Kilz to cover the deep colors, but I walked out of Lowe's with BIN Shellac primer.

Can the wall carvings be painted over to cover or does that need to be filled somehow? And if filling is needed, then are we back to matching texture?

There are drips on the walls. How do you fix those added texture issues?

Meanwhile in another room...The original master bedroom has popcorn ceilings. The popcorn is coming down so that won't be a concern. The owner was a smoker, but the smoke does not seem to have affected the pink/purple or red/blue rooms. There's a pocket door from the MBR to the bathroom, so I'm afraid the smoke might be deep in the walls there. In reading old posts here about covering smoked rooms it seems the gurus of the day recommended using Dirtex to clean the walls first. My wife washed the walls with vinegar (at our Realtor's suggestion), and that did nothing against the smell. But she did not wash the popcorn, so getting rid of the popcorn might solve everything. We were hoping the BIN would be okay to use now without further washing. There was a carpet in that room, but we had it removed down to the concrete slab.

Comments (10)