SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

If I had a spare million ...

mama goose_gw zn6OH
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

... I'd set up a free spay/neuter clinic, no questions asked. Except I'd ask for a photo ID, and verify addresses, so that I could deliver unclaimed pets. :P

Our property used to be a dairy farm, and although we've lived here for 21 years, people still drop off unwanted animals--not as much these days, but it happens. I was gone all day yesterday, helping a friend. When I got home last evening I'd just stepped out on the front porch for a little relaxation, when I heard the faint wailing of a kitten. Does anything sound more pitiful than a crying kitten?

Our big bully alpha (neutered) male was with me so I had my DD hold him while I followed the sound. I found a tiny gray tabby, maybe 6 weeks old, at the edge of the road across from our lower yard. When it heard me say, "Kitty?" it ran to me, and obviously wanted me to pick it up. Which means that it's not a feral cat, but one who is used to humans, tossed by some uncaring, low-life, no good _____ (fill in the blank).

The fur on its back was matted, it looked scabby, skinny, and wormy. I thought, "Oh, no, another vet bill." (The bully mentioned above came to us un-neutered, with a festering bite on his hind leg, delirious but wanting human contact, so after I realized that he needed more help than I could provide, off he went to the vet.)

The poor kitten was crawling with fleas in every stage of life--huge, egg-laying fleas, and tiny, newly hatched ones, so I knew that it must have been suffering for a long time. It look me almost an hour of soaping, rinsing, picking and powdering, to get rid of most of the fleas. I discovered there were no sores, only flea frass. Between baths, I rolled it in an old towel and rubbed it's head to calm it, while it warmed up. About halfway through the bathing, we gave it some warm milk, then I held it for a while, picking off stubborn fleas. As soon as it was warm and comfy it started purring, kneading my leg, and looking at me with big, gray-green, soulful eyes. I told my DD that it probably felt better than it had in its whole life.

It was quarantined in a crate on the front porch last night, with a hot-water bottle and an old towel. This morning it's bright-eyed and playful, and follows us around. When I stop walking, it sits on my foot and rubs my ankle with its head. It eats soaked cat food, so it seems healthy. Next up is ear mite and worm treatment. I held the kitten for a long time today, stroking it while it slept, trying to make up for the lousy life it's had so far. It wrapped one tiny paw over my wrist, as if to make sure that I didn't go anywhere.

So, we don't need another cat, but how can I say no to this:

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!