SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Down to 3 plans - working on a proposal with our top choice

whaas_5a
8 years ago

Hello,

My wife and I have spent several weeks looking at plans and touring various homes.

We decided not to go completely custom but chose something we could see then modify key things as necessary.

Our family is always on the go during the week but we're somewhat homebodies on the weekend. My two young girls are extremely active so they make their way around the house!

I'm curious if anyone can provide general insight into the plan below in case there is anything we may have overlooked or can consider.

What we like...

The fireplace is the central focal point with the kitchen pointed directly inline with the great room.

The TV would be situated on the side wall so it doesn't have that odd asymmetry when positioned next to a fireplace.

The girl's rooms (somewhat) rivals a master suite where they can still use their own sink and have a WIC. Their "quarters" is also somewhat private vs having their doors open to a public space

The pantry is not exposed within the kitchen with a cheesy door labeled pantry but instead around the corner.

The powder room is directly off the entrance of the garage

A pocket office is around the corner of the kitchen offering some privacy if one needs to a concentrate on a particular project

Our master bed entrance is not exposed to any public space

The covered porch would be positioned towards the east/southeast so tons of natural daylight during my favorite part of the day.

The garage is side entry and pushed back so it doesn't jet out much further than the front of the house.

What we don't like...

The hearth room doesn't seem like a very usable space. Although we could position the furniture as an L shape facing the wall and winows so it would essentially act as a sunroom. It wouldn't offer alot of privacy but at least while the kids are watching one of their movies we can talk in this area or tool around with a tablet.

The master WIC is a bit too large and we just don't know what to do with it otherwise

Although the laundry room would not disturb anyone it feels further away from the master than I'd like

Appreciate any feedback you may have!

Please note this plan is property of a builder.

Comments (18)