SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dekeoboe

Proposed kitchen plan for new build

dekeoboe
13 years ago

I am finally ready to ask for help on our new kitchen. I have been reading the kitchen thread for years, but I am not the one that cooks and bakes, my husband is. I am, however, the one that does all the research, so I am the one that proposed this floor plan.

This will be in a new house, we have not broken ground yet. It is only the two of us and we eat 98% of our meals at home. My husband likes simple cooking. He also enjoys baking and hopes to do more of it now that he is retired.

Here is the overall view of the area.

The two pantries are across from the kitchen. Day to day eating will be done in the family room, which is to the left in this image. You can see part of the table on the lower left.

This is the stove wall.

The refrigerator will actually be a french door style. The microwave image actually represents a Miele speed oven. The range will be a 36" Thermador gas four burner with griddle.

This is the window wall. As you can see, the sink is not centered on the window. We would like to get the kitchen layout done first, and then we will tell the architect where the window needs to be located.

This is the prep island.

Now I will explain why I put things where I did and you can let me know if there are any flaws in my thinking.

The refrigerator, well I didn't think there were many choices here. The landing spot for things coming out of the refrigerator will be either on the end of the island or the counter to the right of the refrigerator. The speed oven needs to be in a deep cabinet, and I thought this was the best location for that. (It needs either a 27" or 30" cabinet.) Next is a 33x36" corner lazy susan cabinet that will hold all the pots and pans. Then comes a lowered baking counter, since my husband would like that for kneading bread and rolling out pie dough. To the right of the baking area is a 15" cabinet for cookie sheets and other tall items.

Next is the clean up zone. The 21" cabinet is for containers for left overs. Then the 36" sink cabinet. This is followed by a 24" cabinet and then a 27" cabinet for a raised dishwasher. Since the dishwasher is raised, the 24" cabinet is needed to have a space for the drainboard we use.

Prep will be done at the island. The 36" cabinet will store dishes. The 27" cabinet will store prep items. Then a 24" cabinet for a prep sink and an 18" cabinet for recycles and trash. My husband also wants a coffee/tea area near a sink. That will be on top of the island, but I think the island is big enough to accommodate this as well as prep, especially if we decide to pull the cabinets out a bit in order to have a deeper countertop.

The images do not show that there will be a 14" raised countertop on the island. Under the side that is toward the family room will be the water bowl for the pets. (Under an overhang so it is less apt to get kicked.) Under the side toward the pantries will be a 5' antique bookcase that holds my husband's cookbooks.

Here is an overhead image of the proposed cabinets.

As far as total dimensions go, the architect is showing the kitchen as being 11'6" deep and 17' wide. We can gain a few inches in depth if we delete the end wall and use a refrigerator panel instead.

I hope I covered everything. Please let me know what this non-kitchen person forgot about when laying out this kitchen.

Comments (13)