SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treesaround

Backyard grass woes (crabgrass)

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've been battling this lawn for the past year and while I've at least managed to bring the grass that was left for dead (by the previous owner) back to life I now have a host of other problems that need to be dealt with. The main problem is crabgrass (other grass is St. Augustine). I would venture to say it makes up more than 50% of my yard now. Now obviously I'm screwed for the rest of summer but what can I do now to stop and prevent it from coming back? My plan was to go buy a crabgrass killer and kill off every single one of those nasty SOB's. Then I would apply a premergent (Scotts halts crabgrass preventer) to stop any new crabgrass from growing and a month later add my Scotts winterizer. Then around spring time apply the Scotts crabgrass preventer again. Sound good?

Also, I took pics (below) of what is currently bothering me now (overgrown because it's been raining everyday for a week). I don't know what this long stemmed grass is called so can anyone let me know what it is so I can deal with it too? Thanks.

Comments (7)