SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlc712

Starting from scratch in my family room

jlc712
8 years ago

Please help me with some ideas for my family room. It is the most-used room in my house, and also the room that drives me completely crazy. I keep rearranging it in hopes of finding a better way.

It is awkwardly narrow (10') and long (22'9"), with a large picture window on one long side, a smaller window on a short side, and two large openings on the other long side. Nothing is symmetrical, it is a poorly thought-out addition by the previous owners. The opening on the left side is to the kitchen, and the opening on the right side goes into the formal dining room.

I have shown the TV where it is wired-- it could be moved, but only with a call to Dish to have them move the wiring. Here's the floor plan-- I think if you click on it you may be able to read it better.

I am not even going to say what furniture pieces I currently have, because I'd like to see what others would choose for the best use of space. We do need comfortable sitting or lying down space for three, and some seating for guests. We also currently have a table and chairs in this room, and eat our meals there, rather than in the formal dining room.

I am holding off on painting this room until I get the full plan in mind. I would be so grateful for any advice.

Comments (12)