SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smccabe8

Grass Dying in Giant Patches, Possible Fungus?

Sydney (Zone 5B, DSM, Iowa)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi!

I just bought a house in November of last year, and I've had a hard time growing grass. The previous owners left leaves on the grass permanently and killed a bunch of it. The center of the grass was fine, but around the fence, it was mud. Last spring, I planted a mix seed, and it seemed to be doing well, and got as lush as the center of the lawn. But around mid-July, a small patch of grass on the edge started turning brown, and broken/matted down. I thought it was just seasonal, but I'd 10x the size now and spreading. It's also starting in another portion of the lawn now too. The dead grass is completely matted down, has no roots, and pulls up easily. (You can nudge it with a toe, and see black dirt under it.) There are no grubs present. I assume it's some sort of fungus? Root rot maybe?

Thanks in advance. I want to get this taken care of before I re-seed in a couple weeks. Located in central Iowa. Let me know if you need more pictures.

July 22nd

(Picture taken in mid-August)

(Picture taken Sept 3rd, dead grass completely flat and comes up easily when touched - just grass comes up - no dirt)

Comments (10)