SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Where should I look for the chrysalises?

catherinet
8 years ago

I know a lot of you grow butterflies indoors, but I just have them growing wild outside. Here's my dilemma: My garden is about 20x30' and is fenced in with a wire fence, 4' tall. We had so much rain this early summer, plus my arthritis was pretty bad, and the weeds in the garden got ahead of us. I had some volunteer milkweed grow in the garden and now there's cats on all of them. We have to be so careful in there now, because I wouldn't want to accidentally hurt any of the chrysalises. There's mostly a lot of foxtail (a weed that's about 3-4' tall). I have a swingset covered in fencing that the cucumbers grow up, and I have tomato cages and also trellises for pole beans. My question is.......in this big mess....are there predictable places where the cats might have a chrysalis? The closest trees/bushes are about 15-30' away. Would the cats choose those over what's in the garden?

I know it's impossible to be able to predict where they will end up..........but any suggestions as to where they wouldn't want to be? I was thinking they would like those tall foxtail stems, but I'm hearing they like woodier things. Would they ever use the fencing/trellises?

We were hoping to get the garden cleaned out for winter early this year, since it didn't do so well and some of the stuff is done producing. But now I'm thinking we need to leave it all alone until maybe October? (I'm in central Indiana). Don't you think they would all be gone by then?

Sorry if I'm asking questions that just can't be answered. But I thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored