SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foreignlady222

Suggestions for an ugly, difficult corner of the yard

Hi and thanks for your help!

Of the millions of things that need doing on my property, this area has me stumped. As you can see in the shots below, it's a very ugly spot. It lines the fence and looks into my neighbors yard (and where she keeps her garbage bins). It's a small space lodged between my shed and my gazebo. There's a small, not very pretty paving stone area between those two, and I'd like to set up my barbecue and some chairs there, but not until the area's eye appeal is improved!

To make matters worse, the spot is under my giant maple. It receives very scant direct sun, and only in the morning then. The rest of the light is indirect. The spot also gets a very thick leaf cover in the fall; I'm not sure if it would need to be removed for whatever would be planted there to thrive.

Stuff manages to grow at the base of the tree: various weeds, annoying "indestructible" vines and maple saplings. I keep removing them, and they come back.

I've lined the edge of the paving stone area with these concrete cinder blocks. My hope would be to plant something in the holes that might grow out and down over their sides, to cover up the cinder blocks and still hold the edges of the earthy area.

I am obsessed with fruit-bearing plants and was thinking of trying to transplant some of my wild strawberries in this earthy spot. I've also thought about wild blueberries, seeing as they do grow in the forest, I wondered if they might survive there. Another idea that I had was to plant creeping thyme there; I have some seed from another project on the go and it seems to be taking in a less than ideal (though sunnier) spot.

I also wouldn't mind planting something that would grow along that fence and block the horrible view of my neighbor's yard and waste receptacles.

I'm in zone 5b. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on my ideas? Please bear in mind that I am a novice gardener with a pretty poor track record so far!

Thanks!

Comments (30)