SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deejayw

What would help this ugly front yard?

deejayw
18 years ago

Just discovered this site and I'm loving it! Can't believe I didn't find it sooner since I'm on my computer constantly to research landscaping and look for ideas/inspiration on what to do with our front yard.

Front from street

{{gwi:24693}}

We bought our house 3 years ago. Never wanted a ranch, but we liked the inside. We hate the stark white paint. Probably will have it sandblasted, but not soon. Hard to picture, but the yard looked worse 3 years ago. Budget matters and we've had a few other pricey things to do, so it has been a slow process to make it look better. Had to remove a huge evergreen from the left side yard since it was practically leaning on the house. Replaced the old, crumbling patio in the back. Two years ago had a 60 ft white pine fall in the back yard after a week of heavy rain! (Some cool pic's of that if anybody's interested!) In the front, we started with the left side of the house since the ivy had taken over and the bushes along the house were dead. Removed all but the Vibernum and the circle of ivy around the tree (notice the slate path?...recycled the old patio) Planted the new stuff last spring...took pic's to a local nursery and followed their suggestions...a Snow Fountain Cherry in the middle, Lilac on either side, Butterfly Bush on the left and two Holly (not sure what) on the right. Looks better...but not great in the winter!

Left Front

{{gwi:24694}}

Left front looking out from front door

{{gwi:24695}}

So now for the right side of the house. That big pile of dirt hasn't always been there...sewer line collapse in January...had to dig up the front yard to fix it! The shrubs in front of the house...left them since they were alive!

Right front looking out from front door

{{gwi:24696}}

From the street

{{gwi:24697}}

{{gwi:24698}}

So what does this yard need? Think it's possible to research too much? I've looked at so many books, and checked out so many landscaping websites, and played around with landscaping software...my brain is overloaded now because I'm trying to follow all the "rules" about what you should and should not do. I get so much pleasure out of a beautifully landscaped yard, but I'm just not good at creating one. I need help!

The Basics:

The house faces West so it gets lots of afternoon sun

Zone 7

Clay Soil

No drainage problems

Not sure of Ph yet

The Issues:

Would like to make the front feel more secluded/enclosed

Want to put something in the corner (where the dirt is) by the street/driveway. Have to keep in mind that this is where the sewer line is...roots! Picturing something like three small trees in a curvy, triangular shape with some kind of shrubs/ground cover/perennials...stuff that would look good with the changing seasons. Thoughts on a berm? Also want to hide that white thing they installed when they fixed the sewer line. This area is about 45 ft from driveway to edge of ivy and about 22 ft from street to sidewalk.

Keep reading things like "match the architecture of your house" "compliment your house with your plant choice" etc...but I can't figure out what matches/compliments a ranch! The house is about 70 feet long/wide. Would love to de-emphasize the ranch aspect, but how?

What to do with the huge shrubs in front of the house? So out of balance with the left side. Remove all of them? (Think I'll have to fight for that) Remove some...which ones? Trim them...how much? Not even sure what they are except for the two pink Azaleas in the middle...one is kind of behind the other one. The only thing I'm picturing is maybe a tree all the way to the right...no thoughts on the rest except need something to block (privacy/shade) the picture window. This area is about 30 ft long

In this picture, I airbrushed out the old plants so I could play around with adding stuff...pretty crappy airbrush job, but decided to post it anyway in case somebody else might want to use it for ideas.

{{gwi:24699}}

Some of the things I always seem to be drawn to:

Crape Myrtle

Fringe Tree

Serviceberry

Dogwood

Wisteria

Ornamental Grasses

Comments (15)