SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

Need recommendation for wafting fragrance, max 5' x 5' or so

AquaEyes 7a NJ
8 years ago

Tonight my favorite couple came into my job for dinner. Unfortunately, I didn't have any "vase-worthy" blooms for them. But I've been giving them rose suggestions to add to their yard. They already have a 'Souvenir de la Malmaison' which is growing like a weed from a cane that snapped off mine last year. I also got them 'Well-Being' on the suggestion of Linda Loe at Long Ago Roses for a relatively healthy fragrant yellow shrub -- this one is still in a pot. Tonight they asked for a rose with a fragrance they can smell from their patio. My first thought was something along the lines of 'Marie Pavie', but then I started thinking about the non-Tea Noisettes -- from what I remember reading, 'Blush Noisette' gets to be about the size they want.

The area where they want to plant it gets full-sun. My concern, however, is alkalinity -- much of their garden is mulched with stones that likely include limestone. The soil here is rather acid naturally, but I remember two of their hydrangeas were pink when I visited them at their home a couple months back. The wife told me they were blue when she got them, but have been pink ever since being planted. I said that it's likely the stones -- and this has me concerned about something with Multiflora like 'Marie Pavie'. I have mentioned that they might want to consider moving the stones away from wherever they want to plant roses, or at least swap them out with another mix that doesn't include limestone.

It doesn't have to be a Noisette, however. I thought they'd enjoy a fragrance not typically associated with roses. But the habit would have to be something along those lines -- bushy and spreading, not a climber, and not stiffly upright. The husband said he'd like something red, but more important than color is being able to smell it from the deck. For a minute, I was thinking of 'R. primula' since that scent is in the foliage. I could mention that as a possibility as well, but I have no experience with any of the early-blooming yellows. Another I was thinking about was 'R. moschata', which I can certainly root from mine, and planned on doing so anyway. But since it doesn't start blooming until July, I thought it'd be better a bit further from the patio.

So please offer any and all suggestions you may have, and I thank you in advance.

:-)

~Christopher

Comments (21)