SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leslietuck

When to re-located JMs that have only been in the ground 1 year?

leslietuck
8 years ago

Hi all!

I know that the ideal time to transplant is late fall/pre-bud break to avoid damaging the root system during growing season, but am here to ask if that also applies to trees that have been in the ground only a (relatively) short time? I purchased seven trees from a local nursery last summer, got them in the ground late October/November. Several (Full Moon, Beni Schichihenge, Orange Dream) were 4-5 feet tall, 1-2" caliper and still in their ~18" Iseli boxes; Twombley's had been at the nursery a year or so and had rooted through a 20 gallon pot; Shaina was on the scratch 'n dent table). All have come through these last 12 months looking fine. But now I need to move them because the entire character/light distribution of my back yard has changed owing to the demise of an 80 foot chestnut oak an arm's length off my back deck that had cast a lot of shade into the yard. I'm redesigning the whole shebang to incorporate the conifers and berry-producers that previously I could not grow, and as part of that I need to re-arrange the maples . Since the prime worry in transplanting is disruption of feeder roots, and since these guys have not had THAT much time to grow extensive new root systems in ground, I'm wondering whether tis best to move them sooner (when it cools in late September) or to wait til December/January when they are dormant, but during which time the roots will have continued their growth? I'm particularly concerned about Twombley's -- he was ripped out to come here, recovered well, but how much movement can he take?

I'm in Northern Virginia (6b/7-ish). Also, if anyone knows a landscape designer/architect in this part of the world who understands the strolling gardens of the PNW, I would welcome that information. I've tried 4 so far, and they keep talking about lawn.... :-{

Thanks so much for any advice.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH