Poking fun at high-end tasting menus
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (18)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
A few end of summer pics! Some citrus and other favorites for fun
Comments (26)For all those that urinate on their plants, it really pisses me off! Oh my Mercie!!lol Don't do that for fear you might get caught with your pants down. I have a couple of things you can do easier than that. Just do an Indian dance for rain every other day since rains pH is perfect and they will do fine. It has worked for me. Now I can't get it to stop raining..lol You should see how nice and green mine are now. Josh is right Merciepoo:-) Or, I should of told you that a long time ago that vinegar used correctly can enrich the color of your trees so much. You remember when mine use to be yellow? Using a capful of vinegar in my water has kept them a rich green for years. It naturally lowers the pH solution being applied to your acid loving plants and plants, well you can appreciate this, especially GARDENIA react very well to it. Mike...See More'Americana' tasting table - menu ideas needed!
Comments (22)Although it's widely known and accepted that Midwesterners are, always have been and always will be hicks, and darned proud of it, food and its history also depends on the population and what is available. Detroit was founded by the French, and so cooking was very much influenced by that in the 1700-1800s and that style of cooking was popular and common in Michigan. Food in the cities was far removed from that the pioneers subsisted on, which by nature had to be made from ingredients that were portable and could be stored long term as refrigeration was not available and transportation of foodstuffs was inconvenient. The railroads in the 1800s made food more portable and so more variety became available. I got this from "food timeline", and the Occidental Saloon in Tombstone certainly was going "upscale", LOL. "Sudden wealth from gold and silver brought sudden change. It came earliest in California. Bayard Taylor reported in 1850 "it was no unusual thing to see a company of these men, who had never before thought of luxury beyond a good beefsteak and glass of whiskey, drinking their champagne at ten dollars a bottle, and eating their tongue and sardines, or warming in the smoky campfire their tin cannisters of turtle soup and lobster salad."...Teddy Blue, a Montana cowboy during the 1880s when the cattle trade flourished, wrote: 'talking about food, do you know what was the first thing a cowpuncher ordered to eat when he got to town? Oysters and celery. And eggs. Those things were what he didn't get and what he was crazy for.'...It was not only oysters that, with the coming of the railroads, suddenly became avaialble in Sheridan, Wyoming, in Miles City, Montana, or Virginia City, Nevada. Gambling and concert saloons as well as hotel bars offered their well-heeled customers fancy fare printed on equally fancy menus, often in broken French... "In Wyatt Earp's and Doc Holliday's Tombstone, the Occidental Saloon served a Sunday dinner to tickle "Doc's" fashionable palate: Soups Chicken Giblet and Consumme, with Egg Fish Columbia River Salmon, au Beurre Noir Relieves Filet a Boeuf, a la Financier Leg of Lamb, Sauce, Oysters Cold Meats Loin of Beef, Loin of Ham, Loin of Pork, Westphalia Ham, Corned Beef, Imported Lunches Boiled Meats Leg of Mutton, Ribs of Beef, Corned Beef and Cabbage, Russian River Bacon Entrees Pinons a Poulett, aux Champignons Cream Fricasse of Chicken, Asparagus Points,br> Lapine Domestique, a la Matire d'Hote Casserole d'Ritz aux Oeufs, a la Chinoise Ducks of Mutton, Braze, with Chipoluta Ragout California Fresh Peach, a la Conde Roasts Loin of Beef, Loin of Mutton, Leg of Pork Apple Sauce, Suckling Pig, with Jelly, Chicken Stuffed Veal Pastry Peach, Apple, Plum, and Custard Pies English Plum Pudding, Hard Sauce, Lemon Flavor And we will have it or perish. This dinner will be served for 50 cents." And so it appears that nearly anything can be Americana. I guess, though, that peanut butter might not be since it was not common until the 1880s or so, so scratch the peanut butter and jelly and replace it with Casserole d'Ritz aux Oeufs, a la Chinoise and Suckling Pig! Or hardtack and pemmican, your choice. Annie...See MoreBudget - Middle of the Road - High End
Comments (20)There is definitely some calculus involved when determining what scale a renovation is, that involves both price and taste/finish. I think a middle-of-the-road renovation generally is around 10-15% of home value. But this frequently is retail cost, factoring in contracting labor, etc. Had I paid retail all along, my renovation would not be taking so long (coming on 2 years, thanks to interruptions for school), but would also be completely unobtainable for me on a students budget. Retail price for what I've done so far would be well over $60k. I've spent about $8k, through careful combing of craiglist and auctions, and free labor (dad). What I've gotten for my $5k* is amazing, however: SubZero 611 (craigslist, owner was upgrading to a Liebherr) SubZero 700BR (craigslist, never used) Gaggenau EB270 (craigslist, barely used) 30" Black Kohler Gilford sink (craigslist, display sale) 40sf of countertop slabs (bankruptcy auction) cork floating floor (craigslist, GC overage from a large job) 18 solid wood kitchen cabinets (friend upgraded her kitchen to Poggenpohl) steel spiral staircase (craigslist), going to the work/sleep loft we built over to the kitchen. *What about that remaining 3k, you ask? That went to a retail-priced 30" Bertazzoni Pro all-gas stove. Craigslist failed to deliver on a stove. There are some consolations- I absolutely love the range, and Bertazzoni had/has a free range hood promotion going on. So while I was never going to buy a $1200 range hood, I'm happy to get one for free. I did cry a little before spending full price on that stove, and a lot of it has to do with the calculus of middle-of-the-road and high-end. I'd talked myself into being reasonable, and just buying a perfectly fine mid-range GE. (Which was still going to be over $1k.) But the fact remained that the GE would stick out like a sore thumb in the kitchen I was constructing. And since craigslist was not coughing up a $500 Viking or Wolf, I finally accepted that I needed to pony up for a good-looking stove, and the Berta hit the sweet spot of no electronics, pretty, and reasonable (for a designer stove) cost. Being your own contractor is not easy, and craigslist is a minefield-- but even in it's half-assembled state, I'm completely in love with my kitchen now. (Possibly tinged with lingering gratefulness over the little things, like having a working sink to wash dishes in, or a stove that doesn't leak gas.)...See MoreJuly 2018, Week 4, Fun, Fun, Fun (Third Attempt---First 2 Disappeared)
Comments (73)Jen, I bet is has been a crazy week with extra furbabies underfoot. I hope it was a fun one. Nancy, Thanks for the photo of the rain. I've just about forgotten what rain looks like. We're hoping to get some on Sunday or Monday although the amount the 7-day QPF is forecasting for us keeps dropping, choking out hope of getting good rain with each update. Last night's/this morning's rain went both north and south of us (naturally) but we got a few drops.....8' rain....one raindrop every 8 feet. This so-called rain fell for a couple of hours (in theory, because we did have wind, thunder and lightning for the entire time) but the ground still looked dry when it was done, and the rain gauge had less than 1/100th of an inch in it...so we called it a "trace" of rain. It is probable rain fell from the clouds higher above but evaporated as it came through the drier air layer down near the ground because it looked like it was raining, but we literally were not feeling it or seeing it at the ground level. Virga. That's the story of our lives lately. That is so terrible about the ping pong ball sized hail. Hail that size can do a lot of damage. The worst hail I've been in personally myself was baseball to softball sized, and experiencing that once in a lifetime was one time too many. Larry, I'm sorry for all your troubles with the incompetent medical folks who have wasted three months of your time. I know that sort of thing is very frustrating. Jennifer, I am doing my best to hang in there, thinking that if only rain...real rain, not evaporating rain, not rain that falls 3 miles north or 1/2 mile south, but actual real rain that falls on our land and wets everything down....if only.....if only it will fall in the next few days, than maybe I can keep watering and keep the blooms going for the birds, bees, butterflies, etc. We're still hitting 100 every day (105 Thursday at our house, 103 yesterday, 101 today) and not getting the rain, so the garden just roasts and roasts in this heat and dryness. We were out at a fire again yesterday...a really bad one....a 6,000 s.f. barn with animals temporarily trapped by the flames. That big metal barn was like an oven and the firefighters suffered tremendously while fighting that fire. They are tough and never quit, but a person can only take so much heat. For the second day in a row, they already had a firefighter in the ambulance by the time we arrived on the scene with water, Gatorade and more....and we were not that slow to arrive either. The heat is just that bad. I had cooked fire food (still had some in the oven when the pagers went off) all morning long, and spent the whole afternoon at the fire, so never stepped foot in my garden yesterday. I finally went in there around 7:30 or 8:00 pm tonight just to water tomatoes in containers. That is all I could manage to do today. I couldn't go to today's fire (because, of course, there was one....but Tim went) because we have the 3 year old granddaughter this weekend. Instead of playing in the dirt, I've been playing with Play Dough and Softee Dough. I know you all are jealous. Megan, If every weather guy in the state stood on their head and swore that August would be more mild....I still wouldn't believe it. Not for us. Being this far south, we rarely get the cool-downs that hit points further north, so I don't expect much relief. We usually go anywhere from 2 to 5 degrees higher than forecast anyway, so even if they forecast cooler weather, we do not necessarily see it happen. Tomorrow is supposed to be our last 100+ degree day for a week or so, and I hope they are right. Even the low 90s would feel good compared to what we've been having. They just don't seem to do a very good job forecast our high temperatures down here. We also get a lot of compressional heating as fronts pass or are approaching or whatever, and inevitably the compressional heating pushes us to higher temperatures than what was forecast. I didn't even known what compressional heating was when we moved here, but I sure do know what it is now. Y'all know how much trouble I have with venomous snakes slithering out of the woods and into the garden to eat frogs and toads and whatever.....well, yesterday, at the fire, towards the end when the firefighters were doing overhaul, they brought out a charred crispy snake, burned and blackened so badly that you couldn't tell what sort of snake it had been, but it had the pointed head......so, I felt right at home with...the snake of the day. See there, I don't even have to step foot into the garden to see snakes. We ate lunch early today at Caddo Street BBQ in Ardmore, which is a really new place. I think it opened for business on July 4th. It was amazing---the food all tasted home-made, and I do mean home-made, not like the restaurant version of home-made but like true grandma-cooked-it-in-the-kitchen home-made. They're only open from 10:30 a.m. until approximately 2:30 p.m. (closing earlier if the meat sells out early, but staying open later if they still have meat available) and we were there early to guarantee we would get fed before the place turned into a standing-room-only situation. So, if you're in line ordering your food at 10:30 a.m., I guess it is brunch more than breakfast or lunch. I would gladly eat our first meal of the day there each Saturday for the rest of our lives. It all was so good, and Saturday seems to be the one day that Tim, Chris, Jana and I all can get together. We met the owner who seems like a fine person (and he sure knows how to smoke meat) and Chris won a free t-shirt for being the first customer in line this morning (which surprised and thrilled him---he will wear that shirt with pride). So, my weekend hasn't been about gardening at all, really, and I don't care. I need a break. Whether I want a break or not is a moot point---the daily fires (which I knew were coming at some point due to the drought) will ensure I pretty much stay out of the garden for a while, I guess. I do hope I can get back into some sort of gardening schedule on Monday and at least manage to harvest daily. I think that all that is really waiting to be harvested now is a few watermelons and some okra. Thankfully, I'm growing Stewart's Zeebest---and you can let it can really long and it doesn't get woody right away like some other okra varieties do. I'll try to start the weekly thread on time in the morning because the three year old usually sleeps in late and that should give me some computer time. I hope you all get whatever wonderful weather is in your forecast....rain, cooler temperatures....all of the above. Dawn...See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESHand-Painted Wallpaper Brings High-End Artistry to Rooms
Exquisite papers painted in glorious detail turn blank walls into expressive canvases conjuring luxury
Full Story
CONTEMPORARY HOMESMy Houzz: Color and Fun Behind a Victorian Facade
Eclectic high-end and thrifty furnishings give a Toronto family’s traditional 1880s townhouse new flair
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESBring a Taste of Italy Home With 12 Design Touches
No vacation plans abroad? You can still get the feel of old-world Italy with these ideas from an Italian designer
Full Story
LIVING ROOMS8 Living Room Layouts for All Tastes
Go formal or as playful as you please. One of these furniture layouts for the living room is sure to suit your style
Full Story
GROUND COVERSGive Your Lawn a Taste of the Wild
Consider the joys of an irregularly trimmed meadow lawn: It’s ecofriendly, visually interesting and still good for romping
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESCity View: History Meets Modern Tastes in St. Louis
This Missouri city celebrates a heritage that goes way back, but its architecture and interiors are moving decidedly forward
Full Story
LIFEWhen Your Tastes Clash: How to Design and Decorate as a Couple
Want to keep the peace? Work with both of your styles when remodeling, decorating or building new, for a home that feels right to all
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Goodwill and Good Taste in a Grand Colonial
Welcoming the community for charity fundraisers and more, this Massachusetts home radiates graciousness
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESTaste a Rainbow: 11 Top Home Decorating Colors and How to Use Them
Prime yourself for spring painting season with our color-happy guide to working with popular shades around the home
Full Story
LIFEWhen Design Tastes Change: A Guide for Couples
Learn how to thoughtfully handle conflicting opinions about new furniture, paint colors and more when you're ready to redo
Full Story
grainlady_ks