SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay83

need lighting advice for houseplants

jay83
8 years ago

i live in a basement apartment. i have three large rectangular shaped windows around 4 ft long each window. my windows all face south/southwest. im dreading them. i get sun from noonish till after supper! i had a beautiful large dieffenbachia and a zz plant in the windowsill. the sun burned them both :(. My question is can i grow any lower light plants (medium light) plants away from these big hot sunny windows inside my apartment at any various location? how can i tell what light inside my living room is "medium" and what light is "low" to determine what plants will grow where? my living room is looking very bare without plants in my living rooms interior. i have mini blinds on all the windows. Im confused how to properly use the mini blinds for my plants.. They say the mini blinds can filter the sun making it safer if u have plants on the windowsill.. well if i keep a high light plant on the window sill (i have an aloe on one sill i keep the blinds up all day to let in light. it got burned from the sun! turned a orangey color. so if im using the blinds do i keep the slats facing center to let in light,, do i angle the slats downwards at an angle for the plants? or if im planning on growing cacti and succulents on windowsill for the hot sun and if i have plants interior of my living room should i just keep my blinds up all day to let in daylight for interior plants? again im in a basement apartment with three FOUR FT LONG rectangular windows that all face S-SW and get hot killer sun from noon to supper. any ideas on where in my living room i can grow stuff? how many feet from the windows. how do you tell what low light is how do u tell where or what medium light is in the interior of a room. etc

Comments (10)