SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lite1

New modern build Kolbe or Marvin or Loewen pros/cons

lite1
8 years ago

Al-clad is direction: Kolbe Ultra yet probably would prefer the Vistaluxe; Marvin Ultra; Loewen. Three-way sheet rock with mfg. standard wood interior then stained. I've read a dozen threads and learned a lot, but not sure of some pros/cons for my situation:
High desert location near Bend OR at 3,300' USDA zone 6A and heat zone 2
Wonderful mountain views to west so long axis is N-S with large fixed windows to west

Prefer more glass than "structure/rails/stiles"

Pckg mostly fixed and casements but some awning as well for light/additional ventilation. Designer also just suggested clerestory (some awning) above all doors and windows and if these are done probably total of 85 windows in partial 2 story 3,200SF house.

Several fixed 9/0 5/0; casements 3/0 5/0

Largest mulled/ganged would be fixed 9/6 5/0 with awning below and above in LR west wall; with another similar mulled unit but only 5' wide. 10.5' ceiling here; 9' elsewhere.
Also entry door transom above and perhaps mulled with 5/6 6/8 fixed with awning above.

Patio sliders 6/0 8/2; and might have a pocketed multi slide 8' high about 14' RO wide.

I've seen Kolbe Ultra display, but not Vistaluxe. Seen both Loewen & Pella Architectural under construction. Only seen photos of Marvin Ultra.

========= ?s ==========

1) I understand Kolbe is very high quality for Ultra, but how about Vistaluxe? Like with great car mfg. is there a lot of risk in being an early adopter of new prod line like Vistaluxe? Would VL pricing be similar to K-Ultra; and then I assume either might be somewhat > Marvin Ultra?

2) Several knowledgeable well respected user-experts put Marvin a tiny bit higher than Kolbe, and while Loewen is rated very high I never read why it was a larger step down from Kolbe. My designer has good relationship with Loewen rep but they are 160 miles away in Portland. Marvin and Kolbe are also primarily Portland based but perhaps have a bit better local support in case of any dreaded warranty issues.

3) Accessories oddly might be a factor! Your comments? a) Automation Seems that both Kolbe and Loewen have motorized option for awnings; I can only find Marvin motorized ext. screens, do they motorize windows? b) Marvin std. patio screen seems to be top hung like barn-door and might operate very smoothly. Kolbe VL and Ultra list retractable screen as option but no photos or install info - do these work well? how much width do they use? Does any mfg. have a significantly better design here either in functionality or how much it degrades or uses up visual real estate c) Casement screens retractable option Marvin is a side pull which is a great advantage over Kolbe and Loewen top pull given my tall casements assuming?? that all 3 function well.

4) Other thread on Marvin vs Kolby entry door certainly gives advantage to Kolby as its threshold design seems better than Marvin where you are modifying a patio door as an entry door.

5) Pocket 2? moving units to create opening of 8' or more This single item will be pricey. Any advantages of one mfg. over another? Given budget considerations and that the opening is not huge I have not considered the lift-slide product, but will do so if that makes more sense, but it seems that stiles are wider on it which is a major drawback.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, and clarifications. This window forum has been wonderfully informative and helpful. I am hoping that additional info and considerations might tilt me toward one of these three.

Comments (15)