SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariannese

Disengaged emotionally from the roses

mariannese
8 years ago

I was struck by rosecanadian's phrase on the Rose Forum in the face of early snow because I've also disengaged emotionally from my roses. I am pleased with all that still bloom but I don't feel much for them. All modern roses finally bloom since we had some warm weather after a very cold and rainy summer and are looking very cheerful. But it's the few older scented roses that are in flower, Kronprinzessin Viktoria, Duchesse de Rohan, Rose de Rescht, Reine des Violettes and Stanwell Perpetual that really touch my heart. Only Stanwell will go on into winter so I've more or less given up caring for my roses. Now's the time for vegetables, fruit, berries, fall colours and bright perennials, brighter than the softer colours of summer. I am already looking forward to spring and planning the spring bulbs I'll plant soon. Cleared some brush yesterday so I can continue with the daffodil meadow, or rather the unkempt corner I hope to improve. I shall need a couple of hundred bulbs more to make an impact.

Comments (15)