SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monemi

Painting a 'great room'. How do people know what paint they like?

monemi
8 years ago

I've been putting off choosing a paint colour during renovations because I have no idea what colour to paint rooms ever. Full disclosure, the only time I've painted a room was getting ready to sell a house and we painted every room white white white. I never decorated the kids bedrooms. Or their nurseries because babies don't care what colour walls are. When I've asked the kids what colour they want to paint their rooms, they've shrugged. I just draw a complete blank. My husband doesn't care. Just says pick a colour before he goes with white because he doesn't like cream/beige.

The 'great room' is kitchen/dining/living room combined. It works exactly how I want it to work and we're happy with this. I'm picky about textiles but never about colours. Looking at my closet, I have red, blue, pink, green, purple, brown, yellow, orange, gray, black etc...

The kitchen cabinets are two tone dark black/wood grain lower cabinets and white upper cabinets with butcher's block counters. The kitchen table is wood grain black. The floor is wood grain, very close to butcher block. The backsplash is whiteboard paint so I can write and draw on the walls and play with it.

I don't have a favourite colour or any colours that I prefer. I tried seeing if exposure would help, but then realized this room has large windows facing 3 directions. 2 windows facing north west. 1 window facing south west and a picture window facing southeast.

Maybe I'm wasting time on this should just give it up already and go with white. I'm not worried about resale because we've been here years now and aren't planning on going anywhere. But advice to pick the colour I like is hopeless. I've had years of planning this renovation and paint patches on the wall and I'm not any closer to figuring out a colour. I've never been able to answer what my favourite colour is. It's either red or blue, but they both work for me.

Comments (10)