SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emma1420

Homes overpriced or unrealistic expectations?

emma1420
8 years ago

So I am planning on putting my house on the market in the next 18 months or so. I figure it will take me that much time to prep it for sale (I need to refinish the hardwoods, paint, and probably put up vinyl siding). I currently live in a 3/1.5 duplex in an okay but not brilliant neighbourhood. My hope is to move into a SFH.

In preparation, I've been checking out some open houses in my neighbourhood, and so far they all seem over priced. The sellers have done what you would expect, new flooring, new paint, etc., but the rooms are small and the layouts are just odd (access to a finished basement through a garage, kitchens that are half the size of my current kitchen, tiny bedrooms). These homes are priced between 70-100k more than I what I think mine would probably sell for (I live in the Midwest so SFH homes range aren't outrageous) but many of them seem smaller and more run down than my current home. I understand that I would be paying a premium for a SFH, but I am surprised at how underwhelming the homes I have seen. I only go to open houses, as my current home isn't on the market and I really don't want to waste anyone's time. Are open houses more likely to feature homes that aren't selling? Or are my expectations just unrealistic?

Comments (36)