SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbear_15

Please help! Need help, advice, and ideas regarding kitchen

kbear_15
8 years ago

Am building...(foundation hasn't been poured yet, so I hope I have a little leeway); Supposed to sit down and design/review/finalize kitchen layout in 2 days. I'll attach the plans (The current kitchen layout is the architect's "vision" of the kitchen).

Was staring at this for hours yesterday and somethings aren't sitting right with me.

A. If your sink is 45 degrees, dishwasher should not be directly next to the sink (when door is down, doesn't allow you to stand at the sink), hence need 6-12 in of space between sink and dishwasher.

B. My husband and I don't want a raised counter on the island - just one, continuous same level island. (that's an easy fix)

C. We wanted open concept, so we don't want a wall on part of the island (currently drawn in by the dishwasher). Builder said it is structural/necessary, so we will plan on having a post/column in this location instead.

D. We want to maximize all possible storage and counterspace. (We do want sink and dishwasher in the island). Current island shape seems not the greatest use of space. I realize this is a very small kitchen to begin with and thus our options are likely limited. However, I was wondering, the dinette area is fairly small (and you need clearance around the pantry door and access to the sliders). If a table were placed in this area, it would be very small. Is there anyway to "extend" the island out further toward the dinette area? (Would this compromise walk ways and flow between rear foyer/great room, etc?)

E. What is the best island shape for this plan? (L/V shape? more rectangle? one that is drawn on the plan? trapezoid shape? I'm okay with it not being symmetric, nor having 45 or 90 degree angles.

F. Was told they don't plan on venting to the outside but I really would like this. Would changing the stove (move 30'' closer to the corner) so it shares the garage wall help really make a difference? (design wise, is it a bad idea to have the stove in this location)?

Other ideas/questions include:

I feel the current position of the hallway from the rear foyer limits the design regarding the island.

1. Does the current location/position of the hallway/entrance from the rear foyer to kitchen area make sense? With this current layout - you seem to be walking straight towards the island, thus limiting what one could do with the island.

2. Does it make any sense/is anything gained by "moving" the hallway/entrance over to the right slightly so you enter the kitchen (rather than straight into the island). (I don't even know if this is feasible engineer/structural wise). If this were done, would this allow more options for the island/help with aisle clearance (assume the 27'' cabinet would not be there)? Is it worth losing this cabinet (or making it much smaller)?

One concern if this were done would be the rear foyer wouldn't feel like its own separate space, esp the little mudroom bench?

Would it matter if you came out of bedroom #4 and the sight lines to the kitchen were not perfectly lined up?

Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated!!!!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths