SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jchad214

Spider mites

jchad214
8 years ago

I know that there are so many spider mites threads out there but I would like to hear maybe first hand experiences from hydrangea enthusiasts. Last summer, I acquired a few big leaf hydrangeas. But when I had to leave for MN from July-September, I left my hydrangeas at work in a cool tempurature and I had no pest problem. This year, I have 7 big leafs, 2 paniculatas, and 1 oakleaf. I have left them outside on the East facing balcony under nurseries type black shade. I have watered them in the morning but not overhead due to fear of mold and powdery mildew. Now I am facing a bigger problem--spider mites, I believe, due to very hot and dry condition. The first 3 pictures are my Annabelle which at first, I thought the leaves turned brown due to the heat. However, just least week I looked closely and I thought it caused by spider mites. The last 3 pics are my little lime. Three of my big leafs are also under attack but only one is in a pretty bad shape. Here are the questions:

1. From the pictures, do you think it's spider mite infestation? If so,

2. Is it usually for spider mites to attack blooms?

3. I have actually applied Bayer 3-in-1 about 3 times since spring but looks like it didn't prevent or kill the mites. I also heard that I should change up the type of pesticide because spider mites adapt fast. What are the the best and cheap combination of pesticides to kill the bugs?

4. If I lose all the leaves on a plant to the mites in a month or so, will the plant come back next spring?

5. If the plants survive but are in poor condition, will they come back strong next season and free of mites?

Thanks in advance

Annabelle

Top of Annabelle leaf

Underneath Annabelle leaf

LL leaves

LL leaf underneath

LL petals

Comments (4)