SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

What are your "blackest" red roses?

A true black rose is of course out of the range of rose colors - I understand it would absorb so much heat to fry out even if it were possible to breed them. However, seeing Beth in CA's absolutely stunning Vampire photo, it got me to thinking about my darkest red-black roses. Since Vampire is presently not offered anywhere (but I'll beat a path to the first door that sells it), I thought it would be fun to share our darkest blooms that we could enable each other into growing. I dearly love the truly deep wine-dark burgundy roses, and some of them actually live up to the "mostly black" label!

A real surprise for me has been the profusion and darkness of the blooms of AC Navy Lady (High Country Gardens). It has quite long and low canes that seem to want to be a groundcover growth, with tufts of at least 6-8 very dark red blooms in a nice tidy cluster on each of those arms. For a first year rose, the blooms are quite amazing, and these are in full hot 95 degree sun. Here it is nestled into some David phlox, and the bloom facing to the right of the photo is the best example of the true color.

I hadn't thought that Black Beauty (from Heirloom) would really be that dark, but still I've tried at least 4 times to overwinter it. I finally made it this year, and the blooms are indeed nicely dark.

Black Pearl (also Heirloom I think) has nicely black edges and the petals are pretty saturated in black tones, even in full sun. This is one that ages even blacker.

Red Riding Hood (Roses Unlimited) has been surprising me lately, since it usually seems a more fire engine red. This latest cluster though started out with absolutely black buds and dark blooms - the part shade might help here.

Barkarole/Taboo (Palatine) is another one I had to try 3 or 4 times to get it right, but the blooms have at least a nice black edge to them - they do brighten to regular red in the sun though.

Black Baccara is a much more reliably black rose for me in the same kind of beating sun. I love the dark streaked effect on the side of the back petals here.

Erfordia (Roses Unlimited) has surprised me not only by being a nice black red but having clusters that LAST a long time. This group on the fence hung out looking like this for at least 2 weeks, and it stayed looking pretty tidy to the end.

Harry G Hastings (Vintage) was always a reliably dark red color even in full sun, but after about 4 years he gave up the ghost from the past winter.

Peggy Rockefeller (Roses Unlimited) used to be my darkest red before I got into the rest of them above, and in part shade she still has her moments, before she is a bright true red.

Several other of my true reds will have black moods and the occasional really dark bloom. But my absolute favorite, most reliably heartstopping dark bloom is Nigrette. Yes, a scrawny unlovely plant, but in full sun it is a pretty regular bloomer for me without much care and it overwinters without complaint. And ohhhh, the deep velvet black-red-purple of the blooms. I saw it first in a rose garden in Goteburg Sweden, and I simply had to find it for myself. Here it is with Dr. Huey, which I usually think of as a dark red flower, but Nigrette just blows the good doctor away.

How about you - which really dark reds make your heart sing? I'm ready to be enabled for next year.

Cynthia

Comments (25)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    8 years ago

The rose in my mind when I read the title of this post -- and as I read through your post -- turned out to be the last rose you mentioned. I also had 'Night' aka 'Lady Sackville' last year, but it was one of the casualties of last Winter. I plan on getting it again from Burlington.

I know you say 'Nigrette' (aka 'Louis XIV') is a wimpy thing, but that's only if you consider it against more modern HTs. I think of it as being more like a Polyantha-sized China. For me, too, it remains rather healthy without spraying, and keeps blooming.

'Mirandy' is also pretty dark, but leaning more towards brownish-purple than black. I pulled mine out of its barrel and gave it a spot in the ground. It was one of three that survived unprotected outside last Winter, so that earned it some "real" soil at its roots.

Last year, I had the idea of collecting fragrant dark-red HTs and keeping them as pot-pets. Well, three things crushed that idea. The first was that my paved areas where pots would go simply got too much sun, and their blooms crisped in Summer. The second was that, frankly, they didn't bloom as often as I'd have liked, and raising the more modern HTs up off the ground into pots just exaggerated their bare legs. So the more modern HTs were kinda ugly potted plants that gave blooms here and there. The final straw was that leaving them out all Winter was just too much to handle, and all but three croaked. I think it was more the flooding from melted snow, but in any case, only three made it. And I've come to decide that Teas and Chinas would bloom more and make nicer looking potted plants -- but they're DEFINITELY going in the garage or my enclosed back porch for Winter. And any dark-red HTs I get again will be more of the old and "wimpy" type like 'Nigrette'. In pots, with some Alyssum at their feet, they actually look rather cute.

:-)

~Christopher

• titian1 10b Sydney
    8 years ago

It certainly isn't as black as Nigrette, but if you were looking for a vigorous climber, how about Black Boy? it used to be widely grown here, and my husband loved it.

Trish.

• Related Discussions

Your favorite and/or best red roses

Q

Comments (55)
    I got Dolly Parton this spring. It's been OK but I'm not thrilled with it. It doesn't have the form I was expecting. Usually the centers are really messed up and it could use a few more petals too. It blows rather fast so it would be hard to get to a show. It also black spots quite a bit.
    ...See More

What is your most favorite Red Rose?

Q

Comments (5)
    I have several red hybrid tea roses and most of them have done good for me. But the one that has all the attributes I want in a red rose would be Firefighter. Its only fault being that the first two seasons it didn't bloom much, but in its third season has become more prolific and I am confident this will continue to improve even more. It is very fragrant. Here is a picture.
    ...See More

Show me your red roses

Q

Comments (48)
    JC, nice to meet another Floridian! I was out yesterday cleaning up a massively overgrown 'Spray Cecile Brunner', and hoping to get soon to its neighbor 'Papa Gontier', which comes in here because it's red, or could be called red, in that pinkish-red style of Tea roses. 'Papa Gontier' is a wreck, with smashed canes, old diseased growth...you name it. But all the same, it's currently covered with the largest, shapeliest, most joyful looking blooms you can imagine. What a trooper. I bring it up because I don't think it gets much attention, but it's a great rose.
    ...See More

The Rose, Nothing Like A Red, Red Rose

Q

Comments (13)
    Oh, I photograph 'Prospero' often. Like The Dark Lady, it's a rose that really needs to be budded, and my original two were. I've never managed to get a budded version of The Dark Lady, and it's a dreadful plant here on its own roots. I had Tradescant . . . bought it as much for the name as the bloom. But I have never, NEVER had a budded plant (J&P) that suckered as badly as that one. It produced a scant handful of 'Tradescant' blooms, among a relentless onslaught of 'Dr. Huey,' and we finally removed the horror. In fact, I think that was one of the last Austins we ever bought. Anyhow, Prospero . . . He's bloomed beautifully, this spring.
    ...See More
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

You have amassed a gorgeous collection of blackish reds, Cynthia. The photo of the Harry G. Hastings rose is exquisite. I'm sorry he didn't make it through your last winter. But, of course, I was most impressed by Nigrette, which is quite stunning.

Most of my dark roses are really more purplish than red, but here they are.

Twilight Zone, which has really come into its own, blooming often and with very dark blooms, even in the heat.
    More Twilight Zone.
    Ascot, a winy red, can get very dark in the spring, but holds its color quite well even in the heat.Mu
    Munstead Wood
    More Munstead Wood
    Ebb Tide

Diane

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    8 years ago

The mini, Black Jade fits this question quite well.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

Nigrette is dark and impressive. I don't have anything that can really compete with it.

Like Diane showed us above, Munstead Wood can get quite dark:

And it was the dark tones of the HT Oklahoma at our local nursery that instantly won me over, though I have to admit in 3 years time, it has never bloomed quite as dark as it was that day at the nursery when it seduced me into buying it. It's a bit more purplish in the picture than in real life:

Diane, I had no idea Twilight Zone could be that dark and dramatic--it's quite impressive also.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

Here's some of mine, including Dave Bang's VAMPIRE...

BLACK MAGIC

BLACK BACCARA

BLACK LADY

BLACK PEARL

EDDY MITCHELL aka DARK NIGHT

VAMPIRE

TABOO

MIDNIGHT MAGIC aka LA PLATA SEQUICENTENNIAL

PAPA MEILLAND

OKLAHOMA

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

And then there's also...

KUROSHINJU

NIGHT TIME

SCHWARZE MADONNA - usually a bit blacker, but that was the only pic I could find without going way back

LOVE'S PROMISE

ABRACADABRA

NIGRETTE - really hard to capture it!

INK SPOTS

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Christopher - I'm relieved to hear you say you've had trouble overwintering Night/Lady Sackville, since she's one that has eluded me four times and didn't even pretend to survive the winter in my most protected situation. Even ones that are marginally hardy like Deep Secret (also a 4 time trial) at least put out a little growth in spring before croaking. At least now I can know to give up the fight on that one. I appreciate the word on Mirandy, and I'll look forward to replacing her this spring - I had an uncharacteristically wimpy band this spring that didn't ever leaf out that will be replaced next year. And I have absolutely no beef with Nigrette being a small plant, given that it carries its weight in novelty and toughness. I like the poly comparison, since chinas are also marginal at best in my zone, and Nigrette is much tougher than that.

Trish - ah, it's great to hear that Black Boy is a candidate for this "black" category, since I have that one on order from Roses Unlimited for next year. I had it on this year's order but their plants didn't take for that one this spring.

Diane and Kate - those are some truly gorgeous Munstead Wood blooms. I definitely count the purple-blacks among the highly sought after "black" roses, and I love the deep mysterious nature of the colors you have. Diane, I could only wish that my Ebb Tide had the smoky purple of yours - mine when it bloomed was hot pink, and it has been reluctant to survive in my zone 5 anyway. I'm trying it grafted this time and in a protected spot for one last effort next year. My Ascot is more the tone of the pinkish bud below the flower, but I wouldn't be without its blooms - it's a keeper for me. I'm hoping my Twilight Zone looks half as wonderful when it matures as yours - right now I have two different Twilight Zones from different breeders (the usual Carruth one and a Williams one from Burlington). We'll see if they want to duke it out for "joining the Dark Side".

Ken - I agree that Black Jade is a stunning color, and it looks like that's one I'll have to give a more protected spot, as it has died in normal locations in my yard.

Kate - great photo of Oklahoma, and I think (hope) I've finally gotten one to survive after four tries again. That's surprising, because it seems to be hardy enough. At least this time I've seen blooms, and the faded blooms turn particularly black.

Wonderful roses everyone and they're all on my wish lists!

Cynthia

Original Author
    8 years ago

Fantastic, Beth - I knew you'd have some great photos to share, and these colors fall in the "oddball" range as well. Surprisingly too, only two of your recommendations are presently unobtainable in the US (smile). Usually your posts add to my heartbreaking list of roses I'll probably never have. I'd had Kuroshinju on my wish list from Vintage for years but they went out of business without ever returning it to circulation and no one else has picked it up. Ditto for Zulu Queen, which I fully expected you to tempt me with. Of course those would be the one with the truest luscious black tones. Night Time is one I wasn't aware of though, but it sounds like it's only locally available at best (sigh).

At least Abracadabra has returned to circulation (yay, yippee)!! Rogue Valley put it on their available list this summer and I fell all over myself to order it. Yes, I know it's a bit unstable and might revert to a solid, but the base rose is pretty nice too. I also have Schwarze Madonna and Ink Spots on reorder since mine had the grafts fail after a year or two. Your Ink Spots is wayyyy darker than mine was, but that's a good thing toward the future. Matilda/Love's Promise is one that had slipped my attention, though, and that one's back on the plans for 2016. I do remember it being a nice dark color, and it wasn't in the greatest location but survived a few winters. Thanks for the reminder and all the terrific pictures.

Cynthia

Original Author
    8 years ago

Well dang, Beth - I missed your first post. That is one AMAZING dark Black Baccara. I'm showing that photo to mine to see if I can encourage it along. Similarly Black Pearl is going to be encouraged to grow and bloom a little more, and Papa Meilland to bloom a little darker like your pictures. I'm looking forward to finally having a Dark Night own root in 2016 since in 2 tries my grafted ones have grown rapidly backwards, and I think I need to replace my Black Magic as I suspect what's left after not seeing blooms for two years is rootstock. Any current sources of that rose other than S&W (their timing doesn't work for my zone)? Black Lady is another one that ought to grow for me (it's a Tantau) but it wimps out after a little spring growth even in my good spots. And naturally there are two more unobtainable roses, though I already knew Vampire was a drool-worthy candidate. Midnight Magic used to be on the Hortico list but is now in US limbo - let me know if you notice any of those becoming available.

Thanks for the temptation and more great photos.

Cynthia

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

Unfortunately, I find BLACK BACCARA to be a rather small bloom. Never more than about 2" for me. But then that bed is under nourished. I'm trying to get it cleaned out. I have most of my dark reds in there. I stupidly planted 3 "Hot Lips" salvia in there, and they've overgrown the entire bed. My husband and I were digging them out a couple weeks ago, when we discovered a "meat bee" nest in the ground. That's what we call the yellow jackets up here. I got stung and bit on the b@@b (of all places... it got under my shirt) and we never went back to finish. I had him sprinkle the rest of the diatomaceous earth powder we had all over the try to kill them, but Mr Wonderful totally missed the entrance to the nest. And I haven't gotten back to try putting some Sevin dust down there. I gotta get that bed finished up. I lost several roses in there, including HOCUS POCUS and ALLELUIA, both totally irreplaceable now, as well as HACIENDA (FIREFIGHTER). Crap, I got off my point here... Sorry... I just really need to get the stuff cleaned outta that bed and get some much-needed mulch and fertilizer on all those roses. Then I think the blooms on BB will be better next time around.

Cynthia, I never was able to get ZULU QUEEN. Or maybe I just never really wanted to. I know I looked at it several times over the yrs. Yeah MIDNIGHT MAGIC used to be on Hortico's list all the time under LA PLATA SEQUICENTENNIAL. That's one of the ones I had to dig out during the septic ordeal. It's in a pot and I had mismarked it as one of the other roses. And its tag was in another pot with my EDGAR DEGAS that I thought I had lost! So I was glad to clear those two up. And MM is waaaay more beautiful now that I dug it out of the bed it was in. It never got that dark of a red before. And like most of these blackish reds, it does fade to a bright red with time. I hope Hortico brings it back, as it is a really gorgeous rose. That bloom lasted about a week, only turning more red.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Beth - youch! Those "meat bees" sound pretty vicious and that just adds insult to injury as a rose gardener, since we already get scratched to smithereens, even with gloves! I'm so sorry you lost your Hocus Pocus and Alleluia, as I remember your distinctive photos of those roses. It's good that your Midnight Magic survived the move, as I don't think Hortico looks to be returning to some of their old postings. On the plus side, they seem to have removed roses that they never really had for sale in the first place, but their offerings have decreased substantially. They now never even pretend to offer Bella Renaissance, and there's no one else to replace my plant that died in a drought some years ago.

I agree that these blackish reds can brighten up a lot in the sun, but that makes it even more fun to find one that gets BLACKER with age. For me, Black Baccara does that and mine has at least modest sized blooms.

Cynthia

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Wow, just absolutely beautiful roses, everyone! Beth, what a fantastic collection of "black" roses you have! I don't I have the space to grow all of them so I really appreciate seeing them here. Thank you Cynthia for starting this thread.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Yes, they are all so beautiful and quite breathtaking. Kate, isn't Munstead Wood gorgeous? I love the composition of your photo with the dark beauty of MW against the lighter colored roses. Oklahoma is a rose I've long admired--I should have one myself. Yours is lovely. I, too, have found that as these dark roses age, they grow darker. Twilight Zone, in its third season, has finally put on some impressive size and its blooms are larger and darker, though they always have been pretty dark. It's also blooming a lot more this season, in spite of the hideous heat and high winds that won't go away (ugh). Ebb Tide also has improved a lot in color tone the last couple of years, but it is a more mature rose than TZ. Munstead stepped up the dark color this year, too. So, I guess maturity really does help enrich those colors.

Beth, your dark rose collection is envy producing and I can't pick a favorite, though I love the photo of Black Magic, which is perfection. I think I'm most intrigued by Kuroshinju, a very unusual rose. Thanks for posting all those pics.

Thanks, Cynthia for your comments and this thread. I hope to see more dark rose photos posted. Diane

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

NIGRETTE is probably the hardest rose to capture accurately, especially when it's that dark. Hard to pick up the darkness and the definition. And, yes, it really does get that "black." It's a very cool rose...

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

That really has the WOW factor! What a fantastic photo of a superb bloom and buds. Now have to see if I can find Nigrette here.

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Wow, those are the darkest blackest roses that I have ever seen. They do look freakishly scary.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

ozmelodye -- if you don't see 'Nigrette' at Australian rose nurseries, look for 'Louis XIV'. At least here, the same rose is sold under both names.

~Christopher

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Thanks, Christopher, I'll do that.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Cool- that definitely wins the 'blackest' award in my book, Christopher, and Nigrette already had my vote to start! Great photo, and we trust you that this is indeed a real rose (smile).

Cynthia

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Those are gorgeous, Christopher!

My darkest red is Black Baccara. It can get very dark sometimes. It's not my favorite rose though. The blooms are very small in size.

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    8 years ago

I still grow the mini "Black Jade". It has been in a 7 1/2 gal pot for years. This way I can move it around to keep the blooms VERY dark all year around. It responds very well to an open area that gets afternoon shade.

• bellarosa
    8 years ago

Wow! Loving everyone's beautiful pics! Love "Nigrette". So beautiful!! Where did you buy it?

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    8 years ago

The same rose is sold under two names -- 'Nigrette' and 'Louis XIV'. I got mine from Rogue valley Roses. You'll find other nurseries carrying 'Louis XIV'. Search both names on HelpMeFind and you'll see where to find them.

~Christopher