SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

CAN SOUTH FLORIDA GARDENS GROW GIANT SUNFLOWERS ??

PoohBearLvr
8 years ago

I didnt know where to post this question, so I am finally taking a shot in here. I have tried over the years to grow MASSIVE/HUGE sunflowers, with no luck at all. I plant 'Mammoth' sunflower seeds, and I get plants that are 2-4 feet tall, they put out bloom heads that are maybe 6in across. big deal!

I use to be able to grow GIANTS up in Conn. I would plant the first thing in the spring, grow all spring/summer, get well over 6-8 foot high plants, not HUGE, but darn big! Then get a huge sunflower,maybe dinner plate size? But I have tried and tried here in south Fla. since I have lived,nearly 40years, here to grow even a 6 foot one, and no luck.

Its hot, its sunny, seems the perfect place to grow a sunflowers, especially HUGE ones. But all I get are tiny plants. I get tiny plants with ALL the sunflower types, from the 'Russian Mammoth', down to the 'new' whites/greens/reds that are suppose to be 2 feet tall and have groups of heads.

So..what is wrong with our 'soil'? I know it is SAND, and has little nutrient value in it. I can plant in pure horse manure and get 4 footers, I can plant in the sand and feed them constantly, heck overfeed them, and I get 4 footers...little to no difference. so..what is the problem? I have given up years ago trying to plant to get a giant, but I would just once like to grow a massive plant and get a massive sunflower! Just once. Does anyone have the secret to do this? I have tried to plant/grow in every month of the year, and as i said, in pure manure to Fla. sand 'soil', and force feed them fert. ,and get the same result,to planting them and ignoring them totally, and those actually do just as good or just as bad.

So...what is the trick to get even a 6 footer? Just once I would like to stop traffic with a sunflower in my yard, next to my house, and have it past my roof-line! Easy up north..but so far, impossible in south Fla. Suggestions?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer