SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Need advice re gardening with ticks!

For those of you who are in areas where ticks that carry Lyme Disease are common, can you please tell me how it affects your gardening? Ticks have moved into our area recently. DH was bitten by one this summer when he was photographing in a wetland area not too far away. And I think there was a mature one sitting on one of the posts on the back porch railing the other day! Chipmunks moved into the backyard about 2-3 years ago and seem to be living under the back porch. I gather that they are a popular host for black legged ticks. I'm getting paranoid here and envisioning a total destruction of the backyard in order to minimize risk :-) Since it appears that one of the main ways for ticks to move onto a person is by dropping off foliage as people brush past, it would seem that I should be removing/replacing-with-something-smaller any bushy plants that border paths - I have a LOT of those! Paths in the midst of plantings should probably be wider too I guess, but I don't have room to make most of them much wider, so that is a tricky issue. I gather that May-end of July is prime biting months. How do you safely deal with spring and fall clean-up and planting?

Any advice/suggestions would be most welcome!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting