SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
supertinyviolet

Good and Bad News! Will my Baby Violet be Okay?

8 years ago

The good news is, my leaf has sprouted a baby! It's growing rapidly, and it's quite beautiful. It's even firm when you touch it. I first noticed it July 21st, and within a week I could see a nice crown forming. The original leaf propagation was very firm, and healthy.

I noticed that the original leaf had started to go limp. I thought maybe I had over watered it (and the glass doesn't have a drain hole. But the soil seemed fine. I didn't water it for a day or two in case it was an over-watering situation). This morning, the leaf looked practically dead. The sides are curling, and it's extremely limp. I panicked, gently pulled off as much soil as possible (I couldn't pull off the hunk of soil closes to the leaf and baby - it was too stuck, and I was worried about seriously hurting the plant), and washed out the cup. The soil seemed... "stale"? It was dry, and styrofoam-y. The cup also had big green splotches on the side (mold?). I washed out the glass, put in fresh soil, and planted the leaf. It doesn't seem to be doing any better, but the soil is a lot fresher. The baby is doing just fine though.

Is it normal for the mother leaf to wilt this early on? Will the baby plant be okay?

Comments (14)