State Fairs
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (29)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
State Fair
Comments (13)Okay, I just got back from entering my stuff in the Second Show where I also got to pick up my ribbons for the First Show. I won 2 Blue Ribbons (First Place), one of which won an Award of Merit (extra $25!!!); 8 Red Ribbons (Second Place), and 6 White Ribbons (Third Place). All told I won $103 in prize money on the first show. I would guess that over half of what I entered won something. You have to enter a month in advance, so you enter more categories than you will ever show up with just to be safe. It all comes down to the weather and what looks good on judgement day. None of my dahlias looked good enough to show but I entered a lot of them and just left them at home on show day. It doesn't cost anything to enter the flower show so I wasn't out any money, just a couple of hours of my time cutting, primping and hauling to the fair grounds (the plants, not ME! I looked like crap!!) I foresee a road trip to Sanford next Spring to spend my winnings!...See MoreSaw some quince fruit at the MN State Fair this week!
Comments (3)That's very interesting! I don't have any suggestions (and no longer live in MN). I'm on the Keweenaw Peninsula on the Michigan U.P. and our climate is a little more moderate. We planted two quince bushes this past spring and they seem to be doing well so far. I'd have to look at the tags though, to be able to tell you varieties, and of course have no history to go on yet and again, the slightly different climate. I'll be watching this thread with interest though!...See MoreHouse Plants Contest At State Fair
Comments (22)Jentsu, these are grown as HOUSEPLANTS! Anyone can learn to provide the right conditions for any one of these plants. The event was part of a State Fair. You most likely have a state fair in your state. Horticultural exhibitions are a part of every state fair, right along with the baked goods, chickens, pigs, and cows! I've attended state fairs in several southern states. Thanks, Shawn, for sharing your pictures. It's been awhile since I went to a fair....they are always pretty special, though I'll bet not as popular as they used to be....See MoreFlower Show, NC State Fair 2015
Comments (7)Hi Dottie - the stockade fence is there, the sod is donated, electricity is provided. You have to level off and weed the site (I start in May, many others start in Sept), come up with a plan and then build everything from there. I had the old wooden fence panels at home along with the fire ring and old wooden chairs. I had a dead patio umbrella ready to haul to the dump and thought it might make a good arbor. All of the plants featured were things I have on hand (many of them get used over and over each year for my fair gardens) except one Fatsia that you can't see in any of these photos. Since the fair is in October and most of the garden sites are in the shade it can be hard to keep plants perky that late in the year. Most gardeners drop in their plants at the last minute for these reasons. There is also a problem of the large oak trees dropping branches, leaves and acorns down onto your garden which ruins any large leaves (my elephant ears always get torn up during the fair). Most of the gardens are installed by groups or families, I tend to do mine by myself so this year I tried to keep things simple and easy to break down. The vine is a rare one in this area - Port St. John's Creeper or Podranea ricosoliana. A nice pink trumpet vine that is normally only hardy to zone 9. Mine tends to die back to the ground each winter but come back (this is a good thing for a rampant growing vine). Every year it is in full bloom in October but not this year. For some reason it never formed a single bud. This is a metal umbrella frame and the biggest issue with it was that once you rip off the fabric it loses its stability and falls apart. I spent days wiring it back together at home only to have it fall apart again during transport to the fair grounds. I didn't keep it when the fair was over, I have another spot to grow the vine and didn't want to deal with the umbrella again....See More- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Get Antiques-Fair Style Right From Home
Spare yourself the crowds and heat of Antique Weekend in Texas by picking up these similar-style finds online
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREStates of Style: Arizona's Grand Appeal
From golden sunsets to turquoise gemstones, this desert state embraces colorful and bold design
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREStates of Style: The Alaskan Frontier
All isn’t raw and rustic in this frontier state. See how nature’s influence meets eclectic style in Alaskan homes
Full Story
HOME OFFICESRoom of the Day: Stately Study Includes a Cozy Family Space
A new fireplace, windows, millwork and furniture make this room hard to leave
Full Story
TRADITIONAL HOMESMy Houzz: Historical Richness for a Stately Alabama Home
Original details and expertly crafted features charm in this handsome century-old Birmingham home
Full Story
EVENTSMaker Faire: The Future Is Now
Kid-friendly robots and high-tech sprinkling systems: This fair shows what’s new and next
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSAre You a Maker? There's a Fair for You
Get inspired, show your work or just enjoy the amazing creativity at events around the world devoted to the art of hand crafting
Full Story
DECORATING STYLESCity View: Dallas Design Corrals a Range of Styles
All antlers and cowhide? Hardly. See the real styles and trends, and the misconceptions, about design in this Lone Star State hub
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNCalifornia Says Goodbye to the Sprawling Ornamental Lawn
New state rules will effectively limit turfgrass to 25 percent of the landscape in most new and renovated yards
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESSwags and Jabots Hold Sway Over Window Style
Elegantly draped, this window treatment adds a soft but stately touch to any room in your manor
Full Story
User