SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Is my 'Macgillvrayii' cuting dead?

PoohBearLvr
8 years ago

I know i spelt it wrong, but I know you all know the one I am talking about. The BIG red blooming hoya. I got a foot long unrooted cutting about 2 weeks ago. It has dropped all its leaves and looks like a stick now. I haven't pulled it out of the soil to see if it has ANY roots on it, IF it does i dont want to pull them off. But I have NEVER had a cutting,including another one of this variety, loose all its leaves. I can root hoyas easily...but this one went bald and looks dead. Do i have no other option to find out if it is dead, other than to pull it out of the soil and risk pulling off new tiny roots? Or is there someway to find out if it is still alive? The stem is green when I scratch the surface, but is that just left over green,till the rot or whatever gets to that point? Can it root with NO leaves to feed the cutting? I cant afford another cutting of it...you know it isnt a cheap hoya....so...any help would be great. Thanks.

Comments (33)

• vermonthoyas
    8 years ago

I think in all likelihood your macgillivrayi cutting will not make it. Never say never, but I have personally never saved a cutting that had lost all of its leaves. I'm curious where you got the cutting. There is an Ebay vendor right now selling Big Mac cuttings for $24.99 including shipping. He is using photos he took off from my website to sell his plants without my permission. Anyone who would use stolen photos might not have the best plant material to sell.

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

Not trying to justify the use of your photos, but he probably searched for the images on google and the ones from your website popped up. It's not really a bad thing. I would never think of photos of plants that i got from the internet to sell my stock as "stolen". But im not selling plants. Anything that i have sold on ebay i have took my owm photos, but it's not a complete sin to use pics from the net. Once they are out there you no longer have control.

• Related Discussions

One cute chickie....why did the others die?

Q

Comments (6)
    I've heard that if a baby ostrich doesn't hatch out of the eggs fast enough after it starts to break the shell then the shell will harden and the baby won't be able to et out and will eventually die.. I wonder if that happens with chickens, too?? When my baby ducks were hatching I peeled off just a little of the eggs where their head was to encourage them to try to get out. They all 12 hatched out ok and were healthy. What color is your little guy, what kind is he? Genny...
    ...See More

Are my trees dead?

Q

Comments (15)
    Assuming that you are in the northern hemishpere, yes! Try them... they may not be fully ripe, but might be close. Satsumas are normally ripe for me in November and can last on the tree until early January. Let your tree focus its energy on growing larger and a new crop.
    ...See More

My neighbor's dead horse is out on their front lawn.

Q

Comments (23)
    We are animals lovers too.Ashley has always loved and wanted a horse.So sorry about your neighbor's horse.To me it would be very sad,and upsetting to just know it was dead and being able to look over and see it.I too wander how it died.To me this is a sad story.The story about you picking up Elvira[is that your daughter,or pet]whoever touching nose is so sweet.I am glad you posted because talking about things when it bothers you helps.What was the horses name?Ashley my daughter used to have a play horse I think they are called "Rocking horses" well Ashley named her King.Ashley was about 4 years old.We were watching a Home movie we made of her.She is soon to be 21 and I loved seeing the movie and her loving her play horse and she was wearing a hat.She would walk up to King and layed her head on him just like she was a live horse.LOL.
    ...See More

I think there's a dead mouse in my kitchen cabinet.

Q

Comments (25)
    So ... ... some of you guys' cats work on the "piece work" system, do they? Dis-assembly rather than assembly as in the average factory, I assume. A while ago I had a mouse that had been caught in a trap on a food shelf ... so long earlier that it got a bit stuck down. Hadn't noticed a smell ... but then, I don't smell too well. The "affectionate package" disposal unit seemed to enjoy it, though. At least, I think that it was the affectionate one, not the barn cat that, for about five years, though she follows me around, wouldn't let me touch her ... but has allowed it, recently (only when she's eating). The recently-grown black one sometimes allows it when he's eating ... and the two recently-appeared half-grown ones sometimes allow it while they're eating ... and they sometimes hang around when I'm nearby, while they used to run like a streak of greased lightning whenever I showed on the scene: I guess that a cat can get used to almost anything! ole joyful
    ...See More
  • vermonthoyas
    8 years ago

All of the really good and reputable sellers use their own photos of the flowers, or if they do not have any then they show photos of the the foliage only. This is my opinion, and we will have to disagree on the photos used without permission as being stolen. That is why so many growers now watermark their photos. I choose not to so I guess I leave myself open to poaching.

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

But dont the flowers look the same on a specific hoya no matter what picture is used? If i used a pic from online to sell plants i would not think anything of it. Specific cultivars of plants pretty much look the same. The person who uses your pics may not know he is violating any rules and he may not know that you specifically took the pics or that him using them without your permission offends you. If someone told me to take down a pic that they took i would not have a problem with that. Maybe you can send him a message?

I dont think the pics anyone uses has any indication of weather or not they sell quality stock.

• vermonthoyas
    8 years ago

It can be is a misrepresentation of what they are selling. I recently found someone using photos of my imperialis to sell their version. My photos show my heavily blooming plant with three peduncles with 10 to 12 flowers on each. My hand is holding up a huge cluster of flowers. I contend that what they are selling is not my one in a thousand seedling plant capable of such floral displays at an early age, What they are selling is bound to disappoint and to lead people into believing that their vine produced those flowers when it did not.

I have also spent many hundreds of dollars on the photographic equipment and hours and hours to get just the right photo. We won't mention the time spent creating just the perfect environment to flower these plants. Sometimes it takes years to produce the results that I am looking for. That is why it just seems wrong to take someone else's work and pass it off as your own.

Back to the original question on the macgillivrayi losing all of its leaves, generally macs are among the easiest of all Hoyas to root so I'm wondering if the cutting was taken from material that was too new to strike roots.

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

I did not know so much was involved.

You actually grew a hoya from seed? Cool!

Please ask the seller to remove you photos and replace them with his won or others he finds online.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for going WAY off topic!!!!! I only asked if there was anyway of finding out if my cutting was dead or might still root? Not if someone on EBay stole a picture. Post your problem on EBay. I didnt pay $24.99 for my cutting on EBay. I just wanted help/advise with my possible dead cutting and ideas to save it, if any. Heres 1 of MY pics. of MY 'Mac' in bloom. ANYONE can use it or save it or sell it. I dont care. Its called giving to other hoya growers to enjoy.

Thanks for going off the rails and not giving me any help.

• Jimmy
    8 years ago

It the leaves were green when you received the cutting...it should kept the leaves and eventually rooted,unless the medium was too dense or soggy,which would cause the leaves to drop.If the leaves were already yellowing when you received it,the cutting was already stressed and it prob wont survive.Keep it in a bright spot, with high humidity 70 to 80%. keep soil slightly moist and see if it will pull through.If it has been in the soil for a week before the leaves fell off...it may come back.If the stem is mushy and the base of the soil...its a goner from stem rot...to soggy soil.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

well 1 leaf was yellowish when it arrived...with 5 leaves...but firm stem, I put it in 50/50 perlite and cactus soil.....it is outside in shade here in south Fla. so its hot and humid, moist soil, I got another cutting for free with the 'Mac' cutting, panted then together, it is still green and has leaves. I am going to dig them up in the morning, in case they have some tiny new roots, i dont want to rip them off. And see if either or both cuttings have roots at all. I know they arent in wet soil, I just hope I didnt let them get to dry.

IF i knew anyone on this site with any variety of 'Mac', that would trade/sell me 1 or more GREEN healthy cutting of 'Mac' I would do it. It is so hard to get this one, and 'Megablaster', and Archbolandia. I am going to try and post the pics. I have of MY Mac and Archbolandia pics. i have..i know i spelled them wrong, but these are the ones

I LOVE and want to get more of and ANY of the HUGE flowered ones. Megablaster so far has eluded my 'capture'!!! Sorry the first pic. is a public pic. The other 2 are MY plants in bloom last month.

• Jimmy
    8 years ago

They look great! I have yet to flower any of the big flowered hoyas.Be careful checking for roots.I have killed cuttings from being too impatient be moving the soil.The tiny hair roots are damaged and the cutting does not have enough power to make new roots...good luck! Jimmy

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    8 years ago

poohbearlvr, I have macgillivrayi if you want to trade. Send me your list to jansword@comcast.net

• Teisa Clark
    8 years ago

Poohbearlvr,

Im sure (VermontHoyas) meant no disrespect to your topic question. I don't know if you are aware of who he is but you can google Vermont Hoyas. His name is Doug and he will do anything he can to help someone with growing Hoyas. He is Known for growing, videoing, and photographing his Hoyas. If it can be done, Doug has tried it and videoed it for others to help them!

I'm sure nothing was meant bad by this! And he did respond that he didn't think your cutting would probably not make it. Like Denise said, we are all here to learn from one another!

Your Hoyas are beautiful by the way!! I hope the one makes it!! I have never got a Hoya that has lost all leaves to survive either! Sorry!

I

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

well prattling on about photos on the net that aren't yours, isnt the topic of my question. i dont know who is 'Mr. Hoya' and who isnt. He added nothing to my question. You did more with your one line. I openly said...'anyone can use MY photos', i dont care. They are pictures of my hoyas and hopefully give some joy to others. I am proud that I got them to bloom. I would think if that person is SO important in the hoya world, he would be a bit more open with his pictures. They are not the Mona Lisa or a lost Rembrandt.

Sorry if I sound biter, I am upset at loosing my cutting, I so badly want another, and other BIG flower varieties,...but every 'hoya seller' is out of cuts and or plants, or charge a HUGE price for a tiny cutting. I dont have years and years to get the length to get spurs and blooms.

• Denise
    8 years ago

Now, PB, I'm just a little amused and I'm not sure if you're kidding with us... None of us know if we "have years and years to get" blooms... I've been growing these beauties since 1977 - I may or may not have lots of time to get blooms. It doesn't stop me. It doesn't affect where I get plants. I still participate in great trades with awesome cuttings, and sometimes I get puny cuttings and am annoyed. Take it in stride. Make another trade. Jan offered you a cutting - she's a great source!! Doug offered some insight to his experience, and others offered advice. I'm not sure why you feel so annoyed. We would love you to join us, but if you feel we aren't rigid and/or focused enough in our responses, perhaps we aren't your cup of tea...??

Denise in Omaha... relaxed, and loving Hoyas!!

• PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Lots of negatives and sarcasm are the reason I left Gardenweb before. WE need more positives and caring in this Forum and all other Forums. Doug is a wonderful warm person. poohbearlvr. Please be kind! Some times we do go off topics.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

it was WAY off topic and its my post asking for help. not discussing picture stealing. This is why i stopped posting and coming on Garden Web, until now, because people take it off topic and read every word as a an attack...i just wanted help with my hoya. :( i re posted the comments for all to enjoy.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

wish we could have traded...like i said i dont have a large collection.,,,so i cant 'trade' to save my life. I ave to buy,.and no one,privately or company...other than in Thailand, is selling any BIG bloomers.

• Denise
    8 years ago

All we're trying to say, PB, is that it's no big deal when the topic wanders. See this as a conversation - you know how it is...you start one place and pretty soon you're talking about something else. This is what makes GW great! It's like this big online conversation that goes hither and dither (as my mom would say) and pretty soon, you're learning something about something you hadn't even fathomed that you would be talking about! You hope, of course, that you get your question answered, and I think you did. At least I made a paltry effort to do so...

And if you want to buy a biggish or small established mac, or if you want to buy a nice fresh cutting, you can e-mail me. Most of us here are willing to sell our cuttings even if you have nothing to trade! No need to go to eBay if you don't want to...

Denise in Omaha

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i have been coming to GW for ....8 years and every time i post anything it gets taken over by someone/or others that have nothing to do with the topic. It just gets disappointing. I got my question answered, its done. I said thank you to the right 'answerer', and its done. Sorry if i came off 'ticked'..but it gets tiresome after all these years. I still dont know how to be 'gardenly' correct in the things i say.

• Denise
    8 years ago

PB, I think anyone here would tell you that I rarely involve myself in these little conversational tussles... We've all had our "tone" misread at some point. But I'm going to point out, at the risk of provoking you further, that the only "thanks" I saw was... and I quote... "Thank you for going WAY off topic!!!!" and..."Thanks for going off the rails and not giving me any help."

No one means to offend another by going off topic. If you want mechanical, straight-forward answers, google or wikipedia might be better searches. If you want human interaction, which involves friendly back-and-forth, we are the place to come!

Denise in Omaha

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i've email you denise...no reply yet. trying to reach out to you. didnt you get it yet?

• Denise
    8 years ago

Hi PB... I just responded. The e-mail associated with this account is my secondary, so I don't check it every day... Look forward to hearing from you!

Denise in Omaha

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

denise...no email from you in any account i have...not in spam or inbox. cant find a thing. as of 430pm Friday.

• Denise
    8 years ago

Just responded again - through Houzz. Let's see if you get it this time!

Denise in Omaha

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

I apologize to both "VermontHoyas" and "Poohbearlvr" for getting this entire thing started. I sincerely did not mean to offend anyone. Doug does seem like a very nice guy. I personally have not experienced years of patience and hard work to achieve an outcome i wanted only to have it taken from under me without permission and not given credit. I can definitely see how that can be aggravating.

• laticauda
    8 years ago
    If we were talking about show dogs, the outrage would be shared by all concerned individuals.

Maybe the unscrupulous seller is the one complaining that Doug is defending what is rightfully his. He's got it copyrighted (the photos) and anyone using them without his permission is breaking the law. Period.

He was simply offering you an explanation as to why your cutting may have not done so well. He has knowledge of a seller who is definitely misrepresenting the self and their product but also likely not a very honest person in the first place. It's human nature to make such connections in our brains and conversations.
    If you want a computed answer without any additional input then maybe a search engine (houzz even has one of its own!) would be your best avenue of information gathering.
    Sorry to be redundant about what Denise said. But she's right and she's made a bountiful amount of attempts to soothe you, but you are unappeasable.
  • tlbean2004
    8 years ago

"Maybe the unscrupulous seller is the one complaining that Doug is defending what is rightfully his."

Laticauda, if you are talking about me i can assure you that i do not sell hoyas.

• laticauda
    8 years ago
    Oh gosh. I should have kept my mouth shut, that's not my intention at all.
  • tlbean2004
    8 years ago

lol dont worry about it. I just wanted to make sure. Im not offended.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i am lost...havent been in here in over a week. I get 5 copies of EACH note left here. But not mail sent to me. Haven't been online in days either. The cutting is dead, so i am TRYING to buy a growing plant of my 'Mac'. as a B-Day gift to myself . thanks for replies.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I will root one for you for $20.00 including shipping.

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

Jan, i should have had you root my cuttings!

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer