SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoria1_gw

One cute chickie....why did the others die?

victoria1
17 years ago

As you know this is my first go-round hatching from my flock. So far we have had 3 dead chicks, all with shells broken part of the way, like they were trying to hatch. I removed them from their shells for inspection, two seemed very healthy and ready, and one seemed like maybe the egg was accidently broken too early. Why would they die though?

Yesterday morning a very small silkie bantam egg had a little beak popping out, and I just happened to hear peeping. I watched it for a loooong while, and eventually it stopped peeping and looked lifeless. I have heard you are not supposed to help them out, but I figured since the others died in the shell, I'd see what the outcome was. So I pulled the shell off but left it attatched, and let it stretch and dry out under heat lamp. After a while he livened up a bit. Momma hen detatched him, and after resting up and drinking a small bit of sugar water, he crawled under her. He is literally no bigger than a cotton ball, and looks exactly like one. Cutest thing I've ever seen! He doesnt seem to care that he has two moms...just more warmth for him. Today he is exploring more, and looking very well.

There are 5 eggs left, but I cant see anyone else trying to come out. I candled them, got rid of a rotton one, but the others look and feel occupied still.

How long do I wait before I give up on them....or how long will momma hens wait?

And why did the others go full term and die halfway out of their shells, but the tiniest little bugger of all survived?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH