SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vervelife

need help with refrigerator recess

Hi all, me again. Still at it.

I'm working with my cabinets guy. My kitchen is framed.

I had a recess for the refrigerator but then it got moved due to cabinets. It's a minor re-work / change order, non-load bearing studs need to be moved. I need to get this problem resolved though because every step they do on top of this framing issue increases the cost of my change order.

I will have a Frigidaire FPBS2777RF model refrigerator / freezer (french door). The drawings have the refrigerator right next to a structural beam. I'd like to trim as a case opening. I can fudge the trim a bit, but I need to know how deep to frame for this considering the size and water access lines in the back.

I am really concerned that I will not be able to fully open this door, which will cause loads of problems with access to the bins inside (full width one especially). My cabinets guy is on vacation until the 18th (was last week too) so I'm stuck trying to figure this out because I'm panicked.

Exterior measurements of fridge:

• Height: 69-7/8"
  • Width: 35-5/8"
  • Depth: 33-3/8"
  • Case Height: 67-3/4"
  • Height with Hinges and Covers: 69-7/8"
  • Case Width: 35-5/8"
  • Case Depth: 28-1/2"
  • Depth with Doors (no Handles): 31-11/16"
  • Depth with Doors and Handles: 34-1/2"

refrigerator specs

If the red thing is a 6x6 beam, finished out with 5/8" drywall, then trimmed with moulding, how can I calculate where to frame the recess? I will add a fill from the cabinet guy to help the door articulate around, but I don't know how wide that has to be, or even how to calculate it. Is 2" fill enough? I'm assuming I need at least 37" wide just for the refrigerator, and can only go 28" deep.

Comments (11)