SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_wa

Help with Atrium: Plants to ID, and general advice

Kim
8 years ago

More pictures from the jungle I get to work with. I could use help with ID'ing many of these, and determining which fit the needs of the owners of this atrium. Currently, they are running two ginormous 800 watt spotlight style grow lights 12 hours a day and want to break away entirely from artificial light. Large western window, skylight, and some eastern light as well. Right now, determining what will and wont work, and what to do with what is there and what to add. The preference is for shrub and tree form plants, and no vines. ZZ plants, dracaena, cast iron plants, sanseveria, and possibly birds nest fern come to mind as options.

1) ID please?

2) ID? Maybe a Monster ap.? This was the largest leaf I could find.

3) Pretty sure some sort of Dracaena? I removed dead lower leaves, has some leaf browning near top, this will be getting support stakes soon.

This is the base of plant sp. #1, looks like it was originally potted in that basket thing, will need to dig and replant, probably directly into the dirt floor as is most stuff here. Unsure the depth of the dirt.

4) Some sort of palm, there are a few of these and I am uncertain how they will tolerate lack of direct light. May need to move these closer to the window if I can find space.

5) draceana, needs to be staked, a potted ficus, more vine from #2, and maybe you can see the small leaves shefflera to the right.
6) this croton needs to be repotted, and is going to hate having the lights go out. Definitely needs to be moved to the window, it is growing out of the terra cotta colored plastic pot on a leafless stem a foot tall.

7) Some wimpy palms, maybe another dracaena.

8) a couple of sad Norfolk island (?) pines here too, not sure how they will handle the lighting, they are potted and unhappy looking.

9) trunk and part of a sad, scale infested grapefruit tree (posting this one in citrus forum) and a nice clump of some sort of shefflera in need of supports. You can see the light in the background, and the walkway. The room is two stories high. I am not sure the schefflera lighting requirements l, but I worry once the lights are gone it wont be enough. Also, can this be propagated by cutting? ;) The vine climbing up the wall in the back I think is a climbing rose, and is getting removed.

I will be taking pictures looking down from the walkway tomorrow. Thanks for your help, this is a fun project for me and I appreciate being able to "cheat" just a little on my research as we get this space redesigned and thriving. And you know, getting to work in a private mini jungle is just plain cool. :D

Comments (16)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm