SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nee_suero

Follow up to my London trip

suero
8 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions about places to go, however, it turns out that we didn't do any of them. While we did spend most of the time with family, we did stay in a hotel for a few days. We had stayed at that hotel in the past and liked it very much, but this time was different. The hotel was sold out, but what does a desk clerk do when an athletic woman holding a large pointy stick tells the clerk that she doesn't have a reservation but will be sharing a room with some other person? It seems that we happened to be at the hotel just in time for the 2012 Olympics anniversary track and field event, and most of the athletes were staying at this hotel. The javelin thrower got her room.

We also inadvertently were involved in another happening. We had been invited to whatever is the opposite of a housewarming. The homeowners were moving to America in a couple of days and wanted to use up all the food and drink before they left. They lived in Brixton, and their party just happened to be on the same day as the Brixton Splash. DH said that the closest he had ever seen crowds like that was New Year's Eve in NYC. I still have a giant bruise on my toe from being stepped on.

We did the London Eye, which is OK, but there is an even better view of London to be had, and it's free. The building is that ugly toaster looking monstrosity on Fenchurch Street, but to get to build that monstrosity, the developers had to open the sky garden at the top of the building to the public. Reservations are required. Highly recommended.

At the suggestion of some friends, we went to Bletchley Park, which was the center of decoding enemy messages during WWII. We ran out of time before we ran out of things to see.

Comments (6)